should I take my toddler to the er for a fever of 101.7 in my 3 year old

101.7 is the under arm reading;so that would make it 102.7 regualr, help please i don't know what to do.

lkneiswonger

Asked by lkneiswonger at 4:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No.
    A fever over 104 should be seen IF medicine or other treatments don't lower it.
    A fever over 103 for 3 days in a row should be seen - even if it keeps coming back down with treatment.

If he seems comfortable, don't do anything other than giving him lots of fluids. A fever is his body's way of getting better. Taking it away is like asking a boxer to fight with his shoe laces tied together. He CAN but he won't do as well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• no give him or her some tylenole thats not really all that high. im sure it will go down. give her lots of liquids and some medicen maybe a cool bath. they will be ok
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i wouldn't, unless I couldn't get it down. You can try motrin or tylenol, and insure that he gets lots of fluids.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• That would depend on what else is going on and how long. It would also depend on the childs general health status. If you have a generally healthy child, they aren't complaining of a sever sore throat or ear pain, the fever isn't over 103 and there is no persistent cough, vomiting or diarrhea I would stay at home. Push fluids, water in particular. If they have diarrhea avoid sugary juices/drinks. Give Motrin or Tylenol if they are uncomfortable. The human body has a great defense system for germs. It is called a fever. Many Moms are too quick to medicate for fever when it is the bodies way to fight infection..be it viral or bacterial. If the fever persists past 3 days or is over 103 then I would have them seen. Practice good hand-washing and keep them quiet.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• No but I don't take my kids to the ER unless I have to. 101.7 isn't that bad...just push fluids. I wouldn't even give Tylenol or Motrin yet. Fevers helps to get rid of whatever the body is fighting...you stop the fever you extend the length of the illness.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• No Er needed....like the above says, give Tylenol. My pediatrician doesn't even recommend giving tylenol until it's 102. I also use a cool washcloth on the head/back of neck. Call the Dr. if you have any concerns, they'll let you know what you need to be cautious of. My Dr always wants to see my kids if they've had the fever 3 days to rule out infection. Make sure you keep your child well hydrated, lots of water or pedialyte. I even send a sippy of water to bed with my son.
    If there are other symptoms as well, like vomiting or diarreaha you Should call the Dr. to be safe.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Let the fever ride out. It's the body's way of killing the germies ;)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i would if the fever doesn't go down after i wiped his body with a cold rag and motrin. i took my son to the hospital and the dr. found a virus in his throat and it was red and painful, so he ended up staying there for one night. prior to that, i tried everything and the fever just kept coming back and i was afraid of the possibility of him having a seizure.
    KaydensMom99

Answer by KaydensMom99 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• No, no ER visit necessary. In a child that age it could be a number of small things causing it. If they're not complaining of any real pain anywhere (headache, sore throat, stomach, ear, especially) then give tylenol or motrin if they are just uncomfortable from the fever. A tepid bath can help bring down a fever (like water that feels just slightly cool to you). Keep the child resting, covered with just a sheet if they are chilled (heavy blankets can keep the fever up.) If the fever doesn't respond to motrin or tylenol (you can alternate the 2 medicines every 3 hours), or stays for 3 days, or new symptoms show up, then I would take the child in.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i would say yes... is the toddler vomiting or have dirreaha? you dont want them getting dehydrated
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009