For "natural" birthers, what got you through the contractions?

I am going to be in the delivery room with my sister who is due in march and she plans to have a non medicated birth. I was wondering what I could do or suggest her to do that would help her the most while she is having painful contractions?

I had an epidural and have no idea what would help her (besides an epidural heh) and am hoping some of you who have experienced this could help me help her =)
Thanks!

julipickle

Asked by julipickle at 4:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Guided imagery.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 4:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• hypnobirthing is a great book. I got mine at barnes and noble for $16. Also, the birthing ball really helped me.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Birthing from within is a great books with lots of coping methods.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I was going to say the birthing ball, I had calming music, and my wonderful husband. It is not an easy thing, but so worth it :) Good luck!
    Anonymous

• If you can get her to walk during early labor that actually helps speed things up. You can also use the bathtub with warm water until her water breaks that was awesome when I had mine, heck even a shower is good. See if she wont take other forms of drugs like demerol that got me through the really bad active labor too. You can also make sure you know the breathing and have her do that. Have a focus item as well where she can look at the focal item and do her breathing while getting through a contraction. Stress balls also work wonders so she doesnt squeeze your hand or arm to death.

Answer by gemgem at 4:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My husband... he was great through the whole thing. My son was 9.75 pounds...it was not that bad.
    Julie0039

Answer by Julie0039 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I did it all-natural twice.....they had me sit in a warm tub in the birthing room but that didn't help much. I do remember begging for meds at one point during the first labor. The 2nd one was born very fast. My DH was in there both times, the first birth I didnt like how he was putting a cool damp rag on my forehead and I got mad and threw it at him! good luck!
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• First of all, congratwill s and she is lucky to have a sis like you. :) Having your support will help her through the labor. It's wonderful that you are going to be there for her and with her. My hubby was wonderful I took a HOT shower with the massaging head when my contractions stated. (this helped alot with the back pain). Then after that I just sat in bed wiht my hubby and fell asleep while he tried to comfort me and talk to me. After my water broke the pain got more intense but I'm happy I waited to go to the hospital after the water broke. once I got the the hospital the baby came an hr or so after I got there. I was lucky and blessed that I got through the labor. one more thing. If she is going for natural birth ask her to drink water or something before she goes to the hospital. They don't allow you to drink anything at all at most hospitals and hook u up to the iv.
    Anonymous

• We used lavender oil .. smelling it was nice.. if she likes certain smell.. take the scented oil.. massage her lower back when she has back pain because of the labor.. just be there to talk her through it and remind her that everything will be ok. Good luck!!! :)
    Anonymous

• I sat in a warm bath in the birthing room, that calmed me down and caused my water to break,it also took the pressure off from the contractions. Then I started useing the breathing techniques I learned in the birthing class we took.
    3paynes

Answer by 3paynes at 4:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009