1 year old only eats crackers!

I can't get my one year old son to eat anything but crackers and pop tarts! he won't eat apple sauce or anything healthy. I'm a big health nut and I cringe at feading him this stuff but I want him to eat at least SOMETHING. Is his heath at risk? I am not sure what to do but i really want him to eat better. any advice?

ACW1232

Asked by ACW1232 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you find out anything please let me know because my 15 month old only eats a few things himself.. He never eats and has weighed the same since 8 months.. His doctor doesnt seem too concerned but I am..
    Saintlouisde397

Answer by Saintlouisde397 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Who's the parent?!?!?!? Don't give him junk food and he can't eat it. He WILL NOT starve. When he gets hungry he will eat. I'm just wandering if your such a health nut how did he get pop tarts and crackers? If your hubby gives them to him then you need to be on the same page. A one year old should NOT be in control of his own diet.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• wow, you don't have to be so stern with me, I am an adult you know. Asking for constructive advice shouldn't be a crime. You're not going to get far talking to people like that. i guess thanks for the attempt anyway
    ACW1232

Answer by ACW1232 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I understand the "I want him to eat at least something" feeling BUT he is a very, very smart little boy. He KNOWS that you will give him what he wants. Hunger will not hurt him and, since he is so smart, he will quickly learn to eat or go hungry.
    First, make sure you have 5 set "eating times" a day - 3 meals, 2 snacks.
    Next, hide all the crap foods or toss them. If he sees them he will want them!
    Offer him a good breakfast with things that a young child SHOULD like - cheerios, oatmeal, eggs, fruit, toast, etc.
    Don't put much on his plate - 10 cheerios, 1/2 a scrambled egg, a few pieces of apple... that plate should look next to bare to you. Toddlers can feel overwhelmed by even small portions and will not eat anything. Let him ask for more.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Set a timer for 15 to 30 mintues. When it goes off, the meal is done. Take his plate and dump it. Since there is so very little on the plate you won't feel too bad about wasting food.
    Set the timer again so it will go off at the next eating time.
    If he gets hungry, tell him that you have to wait until the timer goes off - you have to wait for snack time. Let him pitch a fit. Let him whine and cry about how hungry he is.
    Then offer him good foods in very small amounts at the next eating time.
    kaycee14

• thank you! i will try that
    ACW1232

Answer by ACW1232 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Another trick I do with my daughter...
    When she asks for more of one thing on her plate, I'll say something like "Sure! Eat some peas while I go get that for you." Then I stand up and SLOWLY go get whatever it was she wanted.
    The two are not linked - she does not HAVE to eat more peas to get more bread. Linking foods teaches a child that one food is so very, very nasty that you have to be brided to eat it. I just happily say yes and tell her to eat some of something else while I'm getting it. It works a LOT.

Another thing I've found is to never say anything about what she does or doesn't eat. If I ask her if she likes something she is rapidly eating, she will say no and hand it to me... even pudding! Go figure!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Your little boy is a cutie! I used to be worried that our little guy was living on crackers bread and mashed potatoes. He just knew what he liked and just wanted that. He was still on the bottle so he was feeling "full" alot and just didn't need alot of extra food. I want him to eat healthy, too, so we don't do a lot of sugar (candy, choc, glaze, etc), but he would go for cereal bars cut small, goldfish crackers, teddy grahams, and eventually salisbury steak cut small. He'll eventally come around. He might be wanting to get away from the mushy baby food. Ours thinks applesauce is a baby food. Hope this helps!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I took the crackers away and when he got hungry, he ate what I gave him. Crackers are a treat, not a meal. If he doesn't want it he can wait till next meal and try again with whatever you offer him.

The timer idea sounds like a good one... but if it doesn't work you may have to step it up. My son didn't wanna eat "real food" and I just didn't give him the option. They won't starve... eventually they'll eat what they're SUPPOSED to... as long as you don't give in and give him what he wants every time
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 5:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• He risks malnutrition; just because he's eating something does not mean he is eating what his body needs to function. What he's eating is processed junk. Crackers are horrible for you unless they're wholewheat (and they still don't contain everything you need). Poptarts are nothing but candy, I don't care what the box says. Where does he get his calcium? Vitamin A, B, C, D? What about zinc and iron? He risks Scurvy among other deficiencies if that is really all he is eating. He's eating nothing but sugar (carbs and simple sugars are all crackers and poptarts are really made of). There's no fiber in his diet to clean him out and keep his digestive system healthy.

You're the parent, "at least he is eating something" isn't good enough, especially when he's only one year old. He needs to eat other foods and it's not a parent-child negotiation.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2009