How can I get my kids to fall alseep in there beds and stay there

I have a 3 and 2 yr old. Boys one sleeps on the couch and the other gets put in his bed after he falls alseep and wakes up a few hours later. If they are both in the living room they sleep all night.

mommytam

Asked by mommytam at 1:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• Start out in their rooms. Read them a story while sitting in their bed or whatever your nightly routine is in their bed. If they get up, tell them it's bedtime, put them back in the bed. If they get up again,tell them a firm "Goodnight," put them back in their beds, and leave. If they come out a third or more times, don't say anything to them. Just go put them back in their beds. This may happen over & over the first night and maybe only a few times the second night. Usually by the third night, they don't get up or maybe only get up once. I learned this by watching SuperNanny. You may want to watch that show. She has great techniques & advice. I bought a book of hers used on Half.com. She's great! Good luck to you!
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My son 3yrs old, has never had this problem. He LOVES his bed. When he gets tired, he askes me to put him in his bed.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 2:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You need to start doing a bedtime routine: brush teeth, take a bath, read a story (or 2) then it's lights out. Don't let their night time routine be falling asleep on the couch in front of the T.V. Wind them down by giving a small snack and letting them color or do a puzzle. If they come to you in the middle of the night and are not sick, take them back to their bed and do this as many times as you need to.
    Anonymous

• Use the same routine EVERY NIGHT. And the same bedtime every night. To start them back on this track you can try a sticker chart. Let them have a sticker every night they have gottenin bed on time and haven't given you a problem with it. Let them work toward a goal. Such as 14 stickers = a small toy.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 3:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I had my kids in separate rooms and the littlest one would crawl into her big sister's bed (they are 14 months apart) then I would find them sleeping on the floor together. So I moved them into one room and they share a day bed with the trundle always out. I haven't had half the issues I used to.
    allord

Answer by allord at 9:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Put them in bed. If they get up and come out to where you are, put them back. Keep putting them back. Again and again until they just tire out and go to sleep.

I let my kids listen to a CD- music or story, as long as it's not too loud.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I say just let the crash out in the livingroom...
    Sweet_nothings

Answer by Sweet_nothings at 2:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2008