In what climate can you grow cucumbers?

In what climate can you grow cucumbers? Are they hard to grow?

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 4:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• i lived in california and it was easy to grow. never tried to grow them in the cold weather though. you'll need a stick for them to climb too if you wanna grow them inside your house.
    KaydensMom99

Answer by KaydensMom99 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• yup, that's what I plan to do! I can't find good cukes anywhere so I figure I'll grow my own in the kitchen. But I was thinking it maybe better in the basement, however, I live in Maine - it's very cold here 10 months out of the year. Do they have to grow up? Can I put them in a hanging planter and have them grow down?
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 4:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We grow them every year in Kentucky. We have to wait until after all danger of frost is past which here is usually around the first part of May. They require quite a lot of room as the vines run quite a bit. They also like plenty of water and sunshine.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If you're going to grow them inside, choose a hybrid bush variety to cut down on the meandering vines. You'll need someplace warm with good light (flourescent will work) and a nice sturdy trellis for support. You might want to consider investing in a couple of EarthBoxes(http://www.earthbox.com/; they are completely self-contained and you can grow an entire garden of veggies if you wanted to with just a couple of boxes.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2009