Rewards and Disaplain ideas?

Im trying to come up with some ideas to reward my children (5 and 3) for good behavior but also works when they miss behave. I've thought about doing a ribbon system which would reqire them to be good to recieve one and when their bad they loses one and once they reaches a set amount (seperatly)they are rewarded with something? What are some good yet not pricey ideas? And does anyone have any other ideas besides ribbons that they may have tryed and was a success?

Brandy8308

Asked by Brandy8308 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I got a cheap piggy bank and every time my child was good a whole day they got a dime, If they were bad, I would take a dime if they were good a whole week,They got a dollar they had to be GOOD ALL week. When they got enough to spend,a trip to the store, or I would buy something andsell it to them.made them responsible for their behavior, they would remind me of the fact that they were good, they are finding out it is more profitable to be good. It also teaches them the value of money... At the end of the day, we would sit down and discuss whether they were good or not. And then we would tell what they had done to lose their money. And praise them for being good and let them put the money in their own bank, IT works. Give it a try. And, you keep the banks in your room. Make a big to do about getting paid at the end of the day and go get their banks and let them put their own money in or OUT. 
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We've done stickers, and marbles in jars. I think I might try the money idea as my 3 yo DD loves money! lol
    As for the loot they get but some inexpensive things from the dollar store that they would be interested in. Or look for sales and stock up!
    With the sticker charts DS would proudly bring the chart to the store to "pay" for his special treat. Could also treat them to an ice cream when they reach their goal.
    I like the ribbon idea may try that one as well. One thing I've learnt is that the reward system needs to change now and then, it get's old.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I used a chart with a train track and put velcro stickies on every wood slat in the track. It wasn't very long, maybe about 15 spaces, then I cut out a picture of thomas the tank engine from one of our coloring books, and when my son did something good or had a good day, he would move thomas up the track a step or two, when he was bad, he had to move thomas back a step or two. We had other trains from the thomas stories to switch with. When the train got to the end, we would go to the dollar store. It was always a big deal when we got to the end, because our dollar store had a lot of toys and he could pick out anything he wanted. It helped for a while, but like all reward systems in my house, we got out of the habit. Hope it helped. I know some of my other mom friends thought it was cool and made one for themselves. I drew the track on a piece of oak tag. no artistry needed
    moebonner

Answer by moebonner at 9:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Sounds like we have some awesome parents on cafemom. These are great ideas! To truely love a child there is praise and discipline. One without the other is wrong and is why we have so many teenage trouble makers.
    lovewing

Answer by lovewing at 10:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Those all sound like awesome idea's!
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 12:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• The important things to remember when using a reward system is to fine what truly motivates and rewards your child. Some kids could care less about stickers, but like stamps that you use on an ink pad. It is a good idea to reward a child frequently when you first start so they get excited and buy into the program. Catch them being good often. Whatever behavior you want to see move of, reward them for. Ex. using an inside voice, sharing with a sibling, eating their veggies, etc. Maybe they get a stamp, or penny in a cup and when they get a certain number of them, they get the BIG PAYOFF! This might be a dollar store toy or time with a parent reading a story or going to K-Mart. Whatever motivates them! Once a child receives a reward, they have earned it and you DO NOT TAKE IT AWAY!!

LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• continued Let me know if I can help further. Keep it positive! Instead of saying, "Stop hitting" Say, "I like the nice easy touches you were using with your sister. You are using Nice Hands! Good Luck
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2009