Anyone own a Rottwieler??? If so any training tips??

So... We just adopted a Rottwieler from the pound. He is a year and a half old, and ways 80 pounds. He is the biggest dork, and i so cute!! But has some bad habbits, he is very mouthy but in a playful way, and he jumps, lol ... anyone own one at one point, or anyone ever owned one??? I was just wondering ... he is a really a sweet dog!! We are looking for a house to rent, and no one will let us rent because of him... I think its so wrong, what are your opinions on letting some rent just because of the breed of dog they have. Do you think it is ok for them to say that you cant rent because of this dog? or do you think it is messed up??

leahbnaiteacher

Asked by leahbnaiteacher at 4:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pets

• There are people out there that gave rotties bad names but they are number one dogs for kids try getting info on petsmart training ( im a former pet trainer) will help with the puppy mode in him a tip do not use NO use UT UH in a stern voice when he/she does something wrong dont change it

no is common word because dogs dont know the difference between NO and KNOW so ut uh is a new word they think its bad

as for not renting its probably becauseof the the idiots who made them mean why these ppl are refusing to let u rent

IN MY OPINION my favorite dog is a rottie
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I had a Rottweiller who was a wonderful dog. I always told me landlord I had a mixed breed dog and then just acted stupid when they said, "That looks like a Rottweiller to me." He was the least destructive dog I have ever owned!
    Anonymous

• I have a 3 yr old rott. He's a great dog with the kids. He is pretty clumsy though, but it's because he's so big! I think he doesn't realize where his butt is! lol The first thing I taught him was sit and lay down, basically by pushing his butt down when telling him sit, his head down to lay down, etc. He does get excited, but I've never had him jump on anyone. He'll run around though, and usually if I tell him very loudly to go lay down, he will. We also have a seperate area with a baby gate I can put up so he can go calm down. I don't think it's fair that people won't rent to you because of him, I think they are such sweet dogs. So sad they have such a bad reputation.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My Brother in law had a Rottie named Psychotic ok name scary but in all reality this dog was a mush ball carried a kitten around in his mouth NEVER bit down once when nephew was a year old and was sleeping he would lay next to him and would warn ppl who knocked on the door not to hurt the baby. but he NEVER once bit anyone clumsy yes they are but adorable dogs with a personality of a puppy their entire life
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• rotts are very smart dogs. It might be hard since he's older. If you can take a full week and work with him on one thing during that week, it will help him out a lot. Hand signals work good for these dogs as well. For example, our rotty will jump and if you clench your fist and show it to him, he will stop. Keeping your hand flat and saying STAY and he will stay. You have to do a lot of consistency. You have to be patient and understanding. Reward his good behaviors but don't punish bad ones. My husband has had our dog since he was a puppy and spent a whole week commited to training his dog.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My Tyson is 11 years old and 153 lbs. They are extremely smart dogs. My best advise would be a professional trainer. Ex-military or ex-police if you can find one. They will train your dog to stop on a dime. Mine is so well trained the cops in my town don't even bother me about him never being on a leash.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2009