What are magic underpants in the LDS religion?

I saw this in another post and know I want to know!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Asking out of curiosity is fine OP. If I wasn't LDS, I'd wonder what the heck they were too! I think we've pretty much given you a full explanation as far as I can tell. I wear them and that's pretty much the jist of what they are. They just aren't to be dicussed on and on and on. They stand for the commitments we make which are sacred and not to be discussed outside of the LDS temple. So it's not so much the underwear, but what they stand for.

Other than that they're white, and like a t-shirt and shorts really. I will say this. They're pretty comfy!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Its a joke, in the lds religion men and women have to wear specific underpants to protect their sexuality. Hence... magic underwear.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 5:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Wow, I never knew that, LOL!

I have a mormon friend and she's never mentioned it before.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I had always heard it as sacred underwear. I also knew one person yrs ago that would never let his body totally stop touching them.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• they're blessed underwear, the men wear them to protect their fertility or something a friend who wha mormon told me
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 5:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I'm laughing so hard I think I peed my magic depends...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• LOL IhartU.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Yes it is a joke. There's nothing magic about them. Really it's just underwear people. Not all LDS members wear them either only those who attend the temple.

Clergy of other faiths wear clothing that shows who they are and what they do and that they've made a commitment to God. (A priests clothing for example) The Garments are a lot like that, only we don't "parade" around in them. We think of the garments as an Outward Expression of an Inward Commitment to God as to how we've promised to live our lives.

From LDS.org: In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, garments are worn beneath street clothing as a personal and private reminder of commitments to God. Garments are considered sacred by Church members and are not regarded as a topic for casual conversation.

Being that this is pretty casual conversation...that's just about all I'm gonna say about them. Hope that helps !
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• So, can a LDS member wear a normal bra and underwear or are these normal undergarments?
    Anonymous

• still it's special underwear...for church.
    Anonymous