Question about taking pacie away...comfort him or cio?

Okay, so I'm about to take my son's pacie away for good. He's down to naps and nighttime usage now, so in a couple weeks I'll totally take it away. When he cries for the pacie at night after I take it away, should I try to comfort him without taking him out of his crib, or should I just let him cry it out? I'm thinking I should try to comfort him the first few nights at least. Any past experiences or advice that can help me? Thanks!

tstep972

Asked by tstep972 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is your son? My son turned 2 in October and had been using a binky at only nap and bedtime since he was 9 months old. I have been stressing about taking it away. Then this past Saturday, he just refused it, so I threw them all away. He hasn't cried for it or anything since then. So of course my advice would be to just wait until he doesn't want it anymore.
    JudesMomma

Answer by JudesMomma at 6:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I did what JudesMamma did with my older children and their teeth are fine. The twins were 3 and the oldest was 16 mos. The oldest is 11 now and the twins are 7, good teeth. So good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If you've never let him cry it out to get to sleep I probably wouldn't start now (at first anyway).

Start by taking the paci away at nap time and see how he does. It's probably ok to let him cry for a few minutes then try going in and patting his back and see if that helps. Do the same for night time. If after a couple of days he doesn't settle down on his own, then go ahead and try letting him cry it out. Start with the nap time then move to the night time.

Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I just did this exact thing with my 22 month old last week. He's been pretty good about it. The first night he went down ok but 5 minutes later was crying so I went in, showed him his paci's are gone, reminding him he threw them away and that he's a big boy and I only had to go in two more times and he was ok. I don't go in the MINUTE he starts fussing, I give him a few minutes. After the first tiem I go back in I dont' say anything, just lay him down, cover him up, and walk out of the room.
    Anonymous

• thanks for the great tips! he is 20 months old.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• go to him, but pat him or sing lullabyes to him. I never took them back out of the crib once they were in it until morning unless there were nasty diapers involved.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2009