Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go about gaining custody of my children?

This is a post in relation to my last post.
I did not post this question for someone who was not where I was at watching every single thing that happened in my life and documenting everything that was said and everything that was done during the period I was married and had my two wonderful children. So how exactly did my children go to their abusive father you ask? Since I did not have paper proof of the shit he put us through at the time, the emergency custody was granted. He set up court dates in Texas where he knew I wouldn't be able to make it because I didn't have money. As soon as I got my children to Indiana it was only a matter of days that I was court ordered to give him my children. So please just give me suggestions on how to get my kids back. Just look at the posting and see how you can help me, not hurt me. And remember, im not the enemy here, I am just seeking advice.

Answer Question

Asked by herpeche at 5:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You are going to need to get a family law attorney in Texas. You can try to call up the Bar Association in the county the emergency custody was granted in. They can refer you to someone. I cant imagine what you must be going through. I hope that it gets reversed.

    Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • File for it in Indiana, then he will have to come to Indian for court.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • So it is possible to file in Indiana even if the custody jurisdiction is in Texas?

    Answer by herpeche at 5:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Yes you should be able to file in the state in which you reside! Good Luck and God Bless you!

    Answer by MYnKURTMOM at 6:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Yes it is completely possible. My dh is filing in a different place than where his dd resides, and the BM will have to come to where we are at for court. I wish you the best of luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Oh BTW i know this because I am also in Indiana

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.