smelly towels..

I didn't know if you select a best answer, they close the question..
Anyway, I wanted to hear more suggestions about having CLEAN smelling towels. I take mine wet towels out right away and dry them and they still have no real good smell. What do you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I would spray them with febreez before throwing them into the dryer LOL!!
    crystal_ashton

Answer by crystal_ashton at 2:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• This usually has something to do with your water... how old are the towels? If they are older and have been used a lot, that could be the problem too. Try adding a stronger scented drier sheet (like a febreeze dryer sheet) or spraying them with febreeze before you dry them like the person above said.
    mommynlovinit

Answer by mommynlovinit at 2:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I use fabric softener (Gain Brand) and I use fabric sheets (also Gain Brand) and my towel smell nice when they come out of the dryer.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 2:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I put a cup of vinegar in with the detergent
    kimmie10575

Answer by kimmie10575 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Can you dry them outside on a line? The sunlight kills some of the germs and mildews that can cause oders. Nothing smells better than line dried laundry. Unless you live near a smelly factory lol!
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 3:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Make sure that you are washing them in hot water. Bacteria can build up on towels quick. Then I always use fabric softener, the liquid kind you put in the wash. The best I have found is suavitel. I love love this stuff.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I use detergent & LIQUID fabric softener that both have similar fragrances. You don't have to wash them in hot water to get them to smell good... but it does kill more of the bacteria.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Once a month I put a cup of bleach into my towels and use the second rinse cycle afterward. In the second rinse put in a measure of downey. They come out germ free and smelling great. I don't like to use the fabric softner or the beach more than that because when you use FS it keeps the towels from being able to absorb as well and too much bleach will lessen the life of your towels.
    TRyan

Answer by TRyan at 4:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I never ever put fabric softner, liquid or sheets, in with towels. It makes them less absorbent. I usually put a scoop of Oxy clean or a cup of vinegar in all towel loads.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I use Melaleuca's Products. They are natural and they dont have any fermaldahyde like most products that use this chemical to lengthen the shelf life of the products. I love the products!
    Katie2233

Answer by Katie2233 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2008