How to get my son to Poop in the toilet

My son just turned 2 last month and we have been working on potty training since then. We put him in undies when he is at home and only goes in a pull up at nap time, bed and if we are out. He is doing really well and only has a few accidents. The problem is that he won't tell us he needs to go pee we have to keep putting him on the toilet. He will tell us that has had an accident by saying poop even though he is just wet. He also only poops at nap time. It is like clockwork. I put him in his pull up and about 20 mins i have to go and check if he has pooped. He will not nap if he has. I really don't know what to do. I just don't want to do anything to prevent him from continuing to progress with his training. If anyone has any suggestions that would be wonderful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, you started too early if you expected him to be fully trained - which means telling you he has to go or just going on his own. While he is capable of holding it until he is on the potty (provided it's not too long), he isn't yet able to tell you he NEEDS to go and he isn't yet capable of going on his own. Most boys aren't capable of that until closer to 2.5 years. So, for now, just keep taking him on a schedule. Eventually he will be fully ready and will let you know he needs to go.

For the pooping, again, you just have to be patient. While peeing and pooping are very much linked in our minds, they are two seperate things for toddlers. The "I've got to go feeling" is different for both. The muscles you use are different for both. You know he poops when he is relaxing for his nap. For now, just go with that. Let him see you putting the poop in the potty. Let him flush it away. He'll get it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I had the hardest time with my son pooping in the potty. He would sit there and cry wait till I put him back in a diaper. It finally got so bad it was hurting him from not going. I was on vacation with my kids at my parents in SD. Everytime I took him I would kneel in front of him and just assure him that he would feel better when he went. We had a few issues but he finally started going and got over his fear. Everytime he went I would tell him how proud of him I was and give him a little treat. I embarrassed him cause I walked out and announced it to everyone. They all told him how proud of him they were soI think that kind of helped cause we didn' really have any problems after that.
    mombrinda3

Answer by mombrinda3 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• my first boy is almost 5. he too started at about 2, maybe a half on there, but he stopped being so "regular" with his little potty chair... but as he was ready he came around till he was still pooping in his pants, and then one day, I went looking for him because he was quiet for too long and there he was poopin on the potty, and he never looked back, he was about 3 and a half by then, he will do it when he is ready.
    Anonymous