What can I do with my girls over the summer?

My girls will be 10 and 12, I don't want to leave them alone over summer vacation but they don't need a full-time sitter/nanny. When I was a kid, we would walk up to the park and the city had free, supervised activities, this isn't around anymore. What do other parents do with kids this age?

SixofEight

Asked by SixofEight at 5:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• enroll them in dance or sports. School and gyms like the YMCA have programs, call the library and community center...they usually have actitivites too
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Day camp. Many organizations have day camps (YMCA, YWCA, many religious organizations and churches, some public schools have summer programs). Try to google "day camp" or "summer programs" in your city or town.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Post an ad in Craigslist to see if there's a stay at home mom in your area that you can pay $10/day or so to check in on them once a day.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Look into Jobs Daughters International! Its a great young woman's organization they do all sorts of fun stuff from sleepovers to dinners and charity work! I was involved for 10 years and I absolutely had a blast! Her in UT they do a softball tournament, choir competitions, and dance competitions in the summer! If you want more info contact me and I can get it for you. Its so much fun!!! You make friends for life!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Oh, thats easy.. See if they can volunteer at a daycare center for the younger children. Thats what my daughter did.. Technically she was still at the daycare, but it made her feel important because she was "Teaching" the younger children. Once she reached 15 she started teaching at gymnastics and she did that for years!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have boys about the same age and I know what you're saying but...anyway, I enroll them in summer school, they eat breakfast and lunch then I enroll them in Parks and Rec's summer activities for afternoon swim,and tennis lessons, etc...This year we're also going to do a longer term sleep away camp 4 nights (I'm more nervous than them) and perhaps a trade with my sister for a week for each parent with extra kids??? I hope their big sis is here for a week or two this summer and it gives her a few bucks...look into all your resources and good job for planning ahead!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We go to the lake (really pretty, almost like a beach)...its free fun!Especially since gas prices were crazy last summer. We stay all day, bbq, they have water slides and everything
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009