What to do when she is fed and clean, but still screaming?

She seems content and then out of nowhere nothing pleases her. What can I do with a 3 week old?

Jessica1208

Asked by Jessica1208 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hold her and give her your love and attention.
    Anonymous

• After you make sure she is fed and clean, try talking to her softly. If that doesn't work hold her to your body where she can hear your heartbeat. That sound is familiar to them so it should sooth them.. If that doesn't work try patting her back to get her to burp, maybe she's gassy. You could try holding her to your shoulder like you are going to burp her but rub her back. Walk with her around the house talking to her. Rock her in your arms.. Just think of things like that. Its what I do with my two week old, and it works.. You just have to figure out what they want.. Or it could be that she is still hungry.. Babies grow a lot so therefore they eat a lot too..
    Poopie08

Answer by Poopie08 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Hold her, but, if you always do this when she is fussy, you will be holding your child constantly. We did this and it was non stop. Good luck.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 5:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Try stripping her down and taking your shirt off. Skin to skin contact sometimes helps calm a fussy baby when they are new. Remember, they only way a baby can communicate is by crying. Sometimes that's her way of talking to you. Good luck!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Go to the La Leche League website - they have all kinds of questions you can click on, and many causes for babies' problems (which I had never known about before). They are very detailed, and they have phone numbers you can call, too. They really want to help you have an easy time of taking care of your baby. ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son had a lot of internal issues going on that I wasn't aware of...I had a list of things to troubleshoot: After feeding, napping, clean with clean diaper I would check: gas-needs to burp, gas-needs to fart, stomach ache, acid reflux (heartburn), sick with cold, fever, flu, overstimulated....and more. Once, I broke down and just drove him around, then he fell asleep. Hang in there until you find the problem. The child really needs something, and we have to think for them. It's hard. Get someone to tag team you if it is stressing you out. Then go get a manicure, or shop for something for yourself...to take your mind off it for an hour.
    Ophy

Answer by Ophy at 5:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Not hungry, not hurt, and not dirty means bed time for my kids. I put them in there for about 30 minutes. If the crying doesn't stop or even slow, take them out, cuddle and calm, then check for teething, fever, etc. It could be sickness... if that's not the problem, then back in the crib.

Not really a friendly option, but my kids are content and know that they only cry when they need something... so it keeps crying to a minimum. Every kid is different, but so far this has worked for two kids!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 6:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• also keep a diary... what (how much ) she ate, was there burp? when naps occured, you may find a pattern... If you are trying to get her to lay down, put stimulating toys near her to look at. when my first was small, she fussed alot, so as I did my house work, I would sit her in the room facing a window and she was usually content with that. sing to her, just talk to her, your voice is soothing, all my babies loved the singing. I read once that it's easier to personalize their name if you make a song about them with their name in it. My first boy's went like this... Gerhart Raymond, he's my baby, I love him all day long. Gerhart Raymond he's my baby I love him all nigh long. Gerhart RAymond, what a beautiful Babe Gerhart raymond, what a beautiful babe!! and they are STILL soothed by it now... (and Gerhart will be 5 in may. lol)
    stillfatmama

Answer by stillfatmama at 11:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009