Does you DD or DS lie? ANON to protect idenity of child

My Step-daughter has started lying. AND ITS GETTING REALLY BAD! She is 6 and just started school. We have custody and her mom gets her everyother weekend. She had her visitation this weekend and when DD got dropped off her mother said she had been good. Come to find out she wasnt good DH works with DD aunt from that side. She said that DD had not been good. She got in trouble for touching her older male cousin in the private area. When we asked DD about this issue she lied about a number of the details. Then she said she learned how to do it from a kid at school. Now what do we do? She has started lying about so many things (big and small) That we dont know what to do. I am calling tomorrow to make an appointment to talk to her teacher. But how do i get her to stop lying? (she gets it from her mom. All her mom does is lie about anything she would tell you the grass has purple spots when you know its green!)

HELP!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dd (8) know she will get consequences for lying. I have taught her this from a toddler. I don't get angry when things get broken, or whatever......just don't lie to me about it. I am just consistant with it. She knows to fess up! Guess I got lucky....its just me parenting her though....except the rare occasions my family is helping out but they are totally on the same page with me as far as discipline is concerned.
    shebearncub

Answer by shebearncub at 1:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My best friend had this problem with her seven year old when his daddy was deployed. Neither of his parents ever lie, but he was telling lies to the teacher and to his mother. She just started to make him accountable for his actions. If he lied to the teacher, and she found out about it. She would say, " Well I am going to talk to Ms. ______ tomorrow about it." He would instantly burst into tears and confess. He then had to go in with his mother and apologize to who ever he lied to and admit that he had lied. I don't know how serious it is with your SD. I know you have said it is her mother's fault, but have you and your husband tried to talk to his ex to find out if she is doing the same thing at home. Maybe if you guys can all sit down and choose on a course of action being consistent in both homes will help her out.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• SS mother is the exact same way. She will lie to stay out of trouble, she will make excuses for SS being late for school, she will lie to get what she wants. He has learned that this is okay. She reprimands him for lying, but then continues to do it herself. Let me know what works for you.
    Anonymous