Breastfeeding a sleepy baby.

My son is the LAZIEST child I've ever seen. He's only 2 weeks and if I left it up to him he would only eat a few times a day. My doctor said I should wake him every 2 hours to nurse, but sometimes it's simply not possible! He had gained enough weight at his one week check but I'm starting to get concerned about his eating habits, my last son was attached pretty much non-stop for his first few months. Anyone have any suggestions?

Slinkee

Asked by Slinkee at 5:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter was also a very sleepy eater! definitely wake your son every two hours to eat.
    some things to try:
    -change or check his diaper right before feeding, the cool air on his bottom can wake him up.
    -remove all clothing but the diaper and remove your top as well, skin to skin contact helps to stimulate you and baby
    -if tiredness persists you can dab his face or body with a damp washcloth
    -if baby falls asleep while still latched on, try hand expressions. babies often eat even while they are asleep.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I had this problem with my daughter too. She would always fall asleep nursing. She would nurse for five minutes then be out. I would have to completely undress her, and take a baby wipe and wipe her foot with it while I breastfed to keep her awake and then even sometimes that wouldn't help. Just be consistent and he will catch on. If it makes you feel any better mine is in the 90th percentile and the pediatrician says I need to watch her weight. We cant ever get ahead can we? lol Good luck!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. She is 5 days old. And they said she lost to much in the hospital so I HAD to feed her every 2 hours but she will only wake up every 4. She goes to the doctor wednesday and they will tell me if she is gaining weight.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 5:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Thanks so much for the reassurance ladies, I really needed a little encouragement! It's just scary to me how little he's been eating, my last son was breastfed and he was attached CONSTANTLY and we still had to supplement. (He's a 95%er too!) This little guy even naps between breasts.

I usually change the diaper and then tickle his feet to keep him awake, I like the baby wipe/washcloth idea I will definitely give it try this feeding! Thanks again.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• A baby will eat when he is hungry. Sleepiness in a newborn is common not lazy.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009