If you were an employer, would YOU keep on these types of employees?

Employee #1 - Comes in at any time they want, but puts on their time card (which is hand-written and on the honor system) that they were there at 6:00 a.m., thus entitling them to leave at 2:30 p.m., having to take a 1/2 hour lunch. This employee then proceeds to nap at their desk most of the morning, gets up, goes out for a smoke break, comes back, plays a few games on the computer, then it's time for lunch. After lunch, this employee proceeds back out for another smoke break. Comes back to their desk and naps some more (even snores really loud). At 2:10 p.m., this employee punches out and leaves for the day (not supposed to leave until 2:30). Supervisor is aware, asks this employee NOT to nap, but does not write the employee up nor reprimand in any way.

(continued below - rather long).....

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Employee #2 - Comes in at any time they feel like, spends the first hour combing their hair and primping, then proceeds to go around visiting with all of their "buds" to gossip about everyone else in the company. Then they decide it's time to chat on the phone and surf the 'net for a while longer. Takes a lunch, but doesn't punch out (regular time clock), thus they get paid for the lunch making it look like they didn't take one. Work never seems to get done throughout the day and this employee is really good at waiting for someone else to do their job.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Has a bad attitude and is down right nasty and bitchy with just about everyone they come in contact with and loves to give attitude. After putting in 8 hours of doing nothing, continues to stay on the clock for an additional 1/2 - 1 hour to rack up OT, spending it horsing around. Then proceeds to go home - work still isn't completed.

(continued again)
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Employee #3 - Thinks they are the utmost important person in the world. Gets annoyed if they aren't the center of attention. Cops an attitude because they don't get their way. Gets in horrible moods because they don't have a life and spats out jealousy toward those who have a family and lives outside of work. Spends the majority of the day surfing the 'net and crashing their computer with the viruses they catch due to being a happy clicker. Can't wipe their ass to save their life. Gets paid a HUGE salary - way more than those who truly do work - and can take as many days off with pay as desired with no penalty. Lies to customers about delivery and causing all sorts of chaos for the others. Spends more time on personal calls than business calls. SUPPOSED to be the sales person for the company, but doesn't seem to bring in new business. Can't follow through properly with leads or follow-ups
    TeensMom07

• So, I ask - would YOU, as an employer, keep these kind of people on your staff and pay them?
    TeensMom07

• I might keep the gossiper. I like having someone to inform me of what everyone is up to.

Answer by gemgem at 5:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• No, but sometimes it's really hard to fire someone.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i might keep #2 around if someone can watch her closely but never #1, and i wouldnt care about #3's attitude so much as i would hes not doing his job to bring in business and causes chaos.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• #2 also tends to smart mouth customers and is down right nasty to anyone and everyone who comes in the company. #2 also has been doing this for years and gets away with it while other employees who have done far less have been let go. The same with #3 and #1. While they have been "talked to," it always turns into a big joke in the end and nothing is ever done. There are other employees who work hard, but are quick to be reprimanded for things - even if it wasn't their fault and they had nothing to do with it.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• All three would be fired. Since all are entitlement minded and would probably sue as many do I would have all my I's dotted and T's crossed. I was in management. I only asked my employees to come in on time, do their job and treat customers with respect. If they could not do all of that they were fired. I was not a hair salon or their therapist. I did not care about their personal life they had to leave that at home like I did. So many have no work ethic it is pathetic.
    Anonymous

• FIRED
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009