Diluting formula??

My daughter is 2 months and 4 weeks, so nearly 3 months old and we just switched from Enfamil's normal formula to Enfamil AR for frequent spit-up. The formula is thicker and more powdery than the other, and it clogs the nipples so that nothing comes out. She's still on slow-flow nipples, and the medium-flow are still too fast for her, even with the thick formula. My dad keeps telling me to add a half-ounce or more of water to the bottle, but I don't know if that's okay or not?? Anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions??

ToxikSedation

Asked by ToxikSedation at 6:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not dilute the formula. We use Enfamil and for some reason it is harder to mix than the other formulas. I can't just shake it up, because there will still be chunks. I have to take a spoon and stir it and smash the clumps until it is mixed completely which takes a while. I really wouldn't dilute the formula though.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would check with the pediatrician. Diluting it will cause your baby to get less of what she needs. Diluting formula has caused serious cases of malnutrition in infants.
    Anonymous

• Do NOT dilute! There is a reason there are specific directions on the package! Too much water in young babies can hurt them.

It needs to be mixed better. I would recommend mixing bigger batches where you can shake the heck out of it...and it has time for the air bubbles to dissipate so it won't bother her stomach as much. Just pour out the ounces she takes and drop it into a cup of hot water while you go change a diaper....it's just about the right length of time.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There was an article last month about a mom who diluted and the child almost died. http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20081202/BREAKING/812020279/2055/NEWS?Title=Diluted_formula_nearly_kills_Tampa_baby

Answer by gemgem at 6:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Just buy the liquid enfamil instead of the powder.
    Anonymous

• Don't dilute. It isn't good for the baby.

Answer by Bmat at 6:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i wouldnt dilute either but i had to feed my baby cereal via bottle at that age for reflux and i used a playtex variable flow nipple (its tri cut) and it did the trick
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You don't dilute the babies nutrients, you put a larger hole in nipple. Sit her up and she will not choke.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• never dilute formula. Your baby will get sick. Try enlarging the hole in the nipple.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2009