How do you get your kids to fall asleep on their own?

My son is 4 months old. I understand he falls asleep while nursing that don't bother me. But what bothers me is when he's tired he has to be rocked or bounced to sleep. He will wake up in the middle of a nap I believe just to be rocked again. I DON'T BELIEVE IN CRYING IT OUT after all he is only 4 months old. If I keep rocking him now later on will I have to rock him when he's 2?

motherofzander

Asked by motherofzander at 2:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "If I keep rocking him now later on will I have to rock him when he's 2?"

YES!!!! Here's the deal...I rocked all three of my kids to sleep until they were about 6-8 months old. After they could hold the bottle on their own, I would put them in their crib with a bottle and they would fall asleep on their own.
    We also used the "cry-it-out" method...BUT...our kids were close to one before we decided to use that method...and you should research the "cry-it-out" method because it's not locking your kid in his room until he cries himself to sleep after hours of endless crying...
    Kids will wear themselves out after about 10-15 minutes of crying. But, four months is waaaaay too young to start with the Ferber method. He needs to be about a year old.

Good luck. Try putting him down with a bottle.
    Anonymous

• If you're not willing to let him cry and you go pick him up every time he makes a noise, then it's your fault that he won't go to sleep on his own. Don't complain that he won't sleep on his own if you're not willing to toughen up. If he's fed, clean and not sick or in pain, then he can go to sleep.
    Anonymous

• My son doesn't use a bottle and thats bad for teeth. It can rot the first teeth before they even come in. And he's nursed. I like what you have to say and I understand the cry it out method but I still believe in that way even if they are 1 or 3 or 8 any age. There is no reason to cry for 5 minutes just to fall asleep. I heard of a book called 'no cry sleep solution' by elizabeth p (something don't know last name) I haven't seen it at any book stores I've gone to yet.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 2:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• ok, here's my suggestion and it works for my 3.5 month twins...
    When he gets sleepy--that's when you lay him down. He's sleepy enough not to fuss--if anything for a minute or two and he's still awake enough to know you're laying him down. Do not wait until he's asleep--defeats the 'teaching'. Do this even for naps-play with him until het gets tired--then feed him *not reverse* then he will be milk sedated and sleepy and just lay him down. IF he gets fussy--pick him up, calm him down and repeat no more than 3 times. After the 3rd time, do you reg routine. But try it every time and he'll catch on... :) good luck!
    jsks826

Answer by jsks826 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I don't pick him up every time he makes a noise. I won't pick him up if he fussies. I only pick him up when he cries.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 2:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• All three of my kids get a bottle before they go to bed and none of them have rotten teeth...but they get their teeth brushes when they get up and before they go to bed.
    The Ferber method is a personal choice. I agree with the above posting - if your child is not sick, in pain, poopy or etc...he can cry it out for a few minutes. They won't remember crying it out for a few minutes and you will be thankful when they four that they aren't attached to your hip.
    Four months is too young for the Ferber method. We waited until our kids were a year old.
    Anonymous

• Crying it out doesn't mean leaving them in a dark room to scream all night by themselves. You can let him cry for 15 minutes, and go check on him, touch his face, soothe him, speak in a soft voice and leave again for 15-20 minutes. It'll take a few nights but trust me, it's worth it when they sleep through the night. You need to rest, especially since you're nursing. My youngest son would fight a nap so hard, he'd cry with his eyes closed because he was so tired. I let him cry but kept checking on him and soothing him and after a few days he learned that naptime was time to sleep and both he and my older son still nap on a regular basis and they're 6 and 8 now!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Could not have said it better....I agree completely with Beth.
    Anonymous

• Make your own Glitter Graphics

Thanks I will have to try that. Cause he does wake up at least once in a nap to be rocked. I've never thought about that. His entire 4 months so far he's fallen asleep 3 times without me knowing it. Also the thing is is that we have moved him from our bed to his bedroom. We all slept with his new blankets for his crib for a week before putting them on so they would smell like us. He will sleep in it for night time but not nap time.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 2:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Thanks Beth. Maybe when the time is right I will see how I feel about that. But 15 minutes seem so long and I'm not talking about later on when he's close to 1. I'm talking about right now when he's to young for that.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 2:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2008