myth or truth?

when i was preggo with my 1st, i was told that you were not allowed to lift your hands above your head. i am very short so in order to reach anything i have no choice. is this true? does any one know for sure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have never heard that...not even as an old wives tale. Seems silly.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would imagine that an older female relative told you this. This is an old, old, old myth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have heard it they said if you did it would cause the cord to wrap around the baby but I was told by a OB that it was a old wives tale.
    X-mansmommy870

Answer by X-mansmommy870 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It is an old wives tale and I did lift my hands above my head. Coincidentally, my son came out with his cord wrapped around his neck and foot.

A lot of people lift their hands above their head during pregnancy and this does not happen so it's not a fact by any means. Infact, several things can cause a baby's cord to get wrapped around their neck.

My son did flips in my stomach, I swear..so it's possible just the way he moved it got like that.

TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Myth. But you should be careful when you stretch way above your head. I had stomach pains after I did this. Good luck.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It is definitely a myth. 20% of babies are born with their umbilical cord wrapped around some part of their body, anyway, and it's very easy to unloop it. I did prenatal yoga and pilates in my home, which included a lot of arms stretching above the head. Just be careful to stretch slowly!
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 6:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i have heard that but if it where true i would be in trouble cause i reach above my head to get stuff and it never really seems to bother me
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Who told you that? Do you know how many mommies and working mommies would die if they coul dnot lift their hands over thier head to care for another child.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009