How do you wean a 16 month old from the bottle?

She was a preemie and only weighs 20 pounds, but will drink water, but not milk from a sippie cup. I don't withhold milk in the bottle because I am afraid she is not getting enough otherwise

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she CAN drink from a sippy cup, she doesn't need the bottle. She may cut down on her milk consumption for a bit, but she will catch back up. Just take the bottle away.

When you first take the bottle away, don't give her water...offer only milk in the sippy. She will drink, she can drink, she won't let herself go thirsty.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• A t ten months you usually start giving a cup with favorte beaverage in it.. milk,juice and so forth. Never allow bottles in day time. At night for bedtime ( in your lap) give a bottle for bedtime. That is it. Tell the child she or he is a big girl or boy and need a cup. It works! Don't give in to the crying or you will set yourself back.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I think cold turkey is your best bet but if you're REALLY nervous about it, do it one feeding at a time. Start with breakfast and work your way to her last bottle. I'd offer milk only until she's made the transition and then you can go ahead and offer water and/or juice.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If you can handle it cold turkey is the way to go. It will wean her a lot faster too. I did the transitioning (take away one feeding at a time with my oldest) and I hated it. I just dragged on for weeks. With my youngest I just went cold turkey. He was upset for about a day. The second day it was ok and by the third he just didn't really care so much what his milk came out of only that he got to drink it. I put a little sugar-free strawberry or chocolate syrup in the milk in his cup. He really liked that. It gave him something to look forward to in his sippy. :) He never got falvored milk in his bottle. Good luck with whatever you choose. Just give her extra hugs and kisses while your weaning. The bottle is a comfort to her more than anything, but nothing is as comforting as mommy! :)
    MAB82

Answer by MAB82 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• MAB82 - I like your answer best. I am a working, single mom and I am going to try the sugarless flavored milk in a sippy cup at night. Thanks to all of you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2009