IM FURIOUS RIGHT NOW!!!!

I just got the mail and I got a letter from my daughters school.... she is in Kindergarten... Anyway she has had a kinda rough year she has caught pink eye, strep throught and the flu twice this year.... well at the beginning of the year i got a letter saying if your child is sick then please keep them home to prevent spreading sickness.... SOOOOOOOOOO now i get a frickin letter saying her attendance record is poor and i need to call the nurse to see when its appropriate to keep her home and if her attendance isnt good the rest of the year they will turn it over to the truency board!!!! My DD always says that their are kids in her class that the parents wont let stay home and have sore thoughts and getting sick and what not!! maybe they should send a letter home telling those moms to keep thier sick kids home so others dont get it!!! Am i wrong to be so pissed???

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sorry for the terrible spelling I typed that really fast and didn't pay attention!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would fight it. If you have documentation from her MD that she is sick there is NO WAY they can do that. Sounds like they are trying to intimidate you.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Not to mention that the school nurse cannot PROPERLY assess her over the damn phone.
    anetrnlov

• I get the same thing all the time. Go in to the office and talk to the nurse and tell her that you don't appreciate the harassment and that you will file harassment charges against her and the school for this stupid crap if you get another letter.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Dont worry about it. They send those out to anyone whose child has missed 7 days and didnt bring in a dr note. I have 5 kids and have had similar issues over the years. My middle son was sick all the time and progressively got more sick until 3rd grade when he finally had his tonsils out. I think that year he missed 35 days. I got the same note. I called the attendance office and they informed me everyone got one automatically and unless you were reallly bad and never sent your kid to school or let the office know what was happening they dont report you. If you have kept in contact with them I would say you got a form letter.

Answer by gemgem at 6:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Make the call to the nurse.....

"So the next time she has pink eye, I should go ahead and send her to school?" "no? Oh really? What about the next time she has a strep throat?" "Oh...keep her home for that, too? Okay...and the flu. When she had the flu should I go ahead and send her to school then?"

"SO...I should keep her home for all those things? Then why am I getting a letter threatening to report my daughter, who I kept home according to YOUR guidelines, for truancy?"

Turn it right back around on them....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Well, if you're kid's going to be out sick you have to contact the office or else they count it as an unexcused absence. Too many of those and you'll get in trouble for truancy. Good luck. I don't think they are trying to harass you, they are following policy. Please don't overreact, and act professionally, that will get your further than just blowing up and acting all ghetto!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• haha omg I can't believe some of these responses! Go in with a cool head and talk to them, maybe there's something about the policy that you're missing (ie not calling in if she's out, or having a dr's note!)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I call every time she is absent!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• mom you are ok. Those letters are common
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009