Effects of high blood pressure on baby

Im 39 wks and my dr tells me that my BP is starting to go up, but could have been spiking throughout the pregnancy. Anybody know what the possible effects are?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/hbp_preg.htm

That above link is the US Dept Health - Heart and Lung - on High Blood pressure during pregnancy.  Just high blood pressure on its own can cause preterm labor (obviously not a concern for you), and is more of a risk to the Mom.  A girlfriend of mine nearly stroked out on the table.  Thankfully, pregnancy induced hypertension is easily solved by giving birth :)   Good luck Momma!

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I had pre eclampsia for a while during my pregnancy without even knowing... It caused my daughter to have Peri ventricular Leukomalacia ( PVL ) ... but I don't think that it happens to everyone. It is just something that had happened to my daughter. She also has high blood pressure and had it since birth, but they don't know for sure if that was caused due to my pre eclampsia... Im sure your baby will be just fine! If you are very concerend about this I would highly suggest that you talk to your doctor about it!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It can cause low birth weight, early labor among other things.
    http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_1222.asp#risks

Answer by gemgem at 6:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Well it could cause you to have a seizure or stroke your better off getting the baby out at 39 weeks.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 6:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009