How long should I wait?

My cat ran away yesterday and I'm terrible upset and worried to death. To make matters worse my daughter keeps asking if he doesn't come back can we buy a new kitty. He's gotten out before (he's very sneaky) and always comes back a about 15 mins later. I'm afraid he didn't make it through the night it was very cold and he's not an outside cat at all, he fixed and declawed. I'm also afraid because I live in an apartment complex near a busy highway. How long should I keep up hope of him coming back in one peice? Another cat couldn't replace him in my heart but it might fill the void.

emtmommyamanda

Asked by emtmommyamanda at 6:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I feel bad for your kitty! HowEVER! He knows where he gets fed, he knows where he sleeps, he knows where he poops! He should not be gone long. Being male, whether neutered or not, he may still be liable to chase females!

My black tom disappeared one summer... we called and called and he never came home. we never replaced him, as we had cat-shy dogs too and were going to cut back on the in-house responsibilities and pass on another housecat. We moved his litterbox outside onto the back porch, and the following spring he came home! Just keep a good look out, and maybe put some food by your doors just in case he tries to come home while you're out!

good luck!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• They can leave for months whether inside cats or not or in any weather. I had a big fat garfield cat once and the same thing happened. I waited a month before we finally got a new kitten. About two months after that he came home.

Answer by gemgem at 6:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• A week would be hopeful. Two weeks much less hopeful. Diminishing after that. It is too soon to be looking for a replacement, though, in my opinion, although don't go by me, one of my cats died a few months ago and I'm still not over it. Meanwhile about your lost kitty, put up signs, including at the vet's, call the human society and ask.

Answer by Bmat at 6:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• it definitely can vary on the amount of time it takes for them to come back. even indoor cats still have their natural instincts. i also live in an apartment complex right next to a highway and we have tons of cats arounf here that go in and out of homes, but they all avoid the highway, so i wouldnt be too worried about that. theyll stay away from that because of all the loud noises. it is possible that it will still come back and be perfectly fine. like i said they have their natural instincts, so even though its not used to it, he can survive very easily. plus they are great at knowing where they live, and im sure if he gets too cold, or too hungry he will be making his way back to you
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I'd maybe wait a month. Just so you don't end up with two.

Vet Tech-need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 9:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Aw I am sad for you. Cats usually will try to find somewhere warm when outside, so your cat is probably hiding under someone's deck. I'd post pictures up and call your humane society to see if anyone has brought in any strays. Good luck !!
    lmk122288

Answer by lmk122288 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Thank you all he came home YEAH!
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 3:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009