How much formula should an 8 month old be getting?

My 8-month old drinks from a sippy, but I am afraid to take the bottle completely away from her, in fear that she won't be getting enough formula. What I have been doing is just giving her the bottle in the morning and at bedtime because that seems to be when she drinks the most of it anyways. And then forumla and juice in a sippy throughout the day.

lmh3820

Asked by lmh3820 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is perfectly fine! shes getting a lot of nutrients from the food you are giving her. a lot of times people overfeed by giving too many bottles plus food. as long as shes gaining weight and not showing any dehydration signs shes fine!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If you're that concerned, measure the formula you're putting in the cup. (and then go ahead and get rid of the bottle snow while it's easier!)

If she's eating table foods, you can expect her formula intake to drop, but should remain about 20-24oz according to our pediatrician....for my boys. LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I am measuring what I put in the cup! !!!

And today with two bottles (one in the morning and one at bedtime) and the formula in the sippy all day, she only got 16 oz.
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I'm sure she is getting enough as long as she is eating other stuff through out the day she will be fine. IDK though. My daughter was on whole milk by age 8 months. I got rid of the formula.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 7:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• What foods is she eating? Is she eating table foods and getting nutrition that way. The juice she is drinking...that can be replaced with formula.

If she's eating other foods, she's only 4oz off (our) recommended amount....not enough to worry about, really.

Unless that is ALL she's getting (no food) then I wouldn't worry. If she's not taking other foods, then I'd give the doctor a call and get a medical opinion....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• She is eating stage 3 foods and some table foods (mashed potatoes, green beans) along with the puff snacks. (3 meals a day, 2 snacks) She won't always take forumla, whether offered in a bottle or sippy, but if then given juice in a sippy or water she will take that. So I just figure she is tired of the forumla.
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2009