• In the Spotlight:

What about parents who turn their back on their kids because of their religion?

I have know people who turned their backs on their kids because of their beliefs.Either the child turned out to be gay or he was an atheist or something or that sort.Can this really be of the "Bible"?

laranadtony

Asked by laranadtony at 7:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If it is of the Bible....I would burn it. I cannot imagine turning my back on my children for following their hearts. The notion is rather nauseating.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I could NEVER Turn my back on my kids. There is nothing they could ever do to make me want to abandon them. And I don't think that's very Christ-like (or any master) to do.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would NEVER turn my back on my kid for any of the things listed above.. and I do agree some parents would and I find that sick and sad.. hypothetically If my kid murdered someone I would definately be very upset and angry with my child... but they are still my child.. I would make sure they were punished, but I would be there because i could never turn my back.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I dont think its necessarily in the Bible but its something ingrained as they grow in a belief system. They fear their children who choose a different path(whether its of sexuality or beliefs)that they are being conned by Satan somehow.
    This can be awfully scary when you are a firm believer in one way to heaven or its hell for you, or the like.

You are supposed to distance yourself from evil things so I think parents do that. Sometimes intentionally and with hope their child will return and sometimes unintentionally.

My family treats me very different because Im not the active member in the church of my youth that I used to be. They may not have blown me off(although right now we arent talking) but they certainly let me know by the poor treatment of me and my children.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would never turn my back on my child for anything.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Personally, I think you are making it up to prove a point.
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:15pm are you talking about what the OP is saying? If so you are incorrect...I have personally seen dear friends go through this with their so-called parents. It is horrible.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• And what would the point be?

It actually happens a lot more than you think.I actually heard one woman tell her daughter."darkness has nothing in the common with the light,never return to my home".And they were in church too.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 8:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Lara...what is up with the crazy people that live near you?!?!? LOL
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Making it up? I wish that were true... I had one dear friend in university whose parents had disowned him because of his sexual orientation. He was diagnosed with cancer at a young age (early thirties) and tried to approach his parents to tell them the diagnosis and to try to rebuild bridges. They listened to what he had to say... and then hung up on him. Saddest thing I ever heard and I cannot fathom treating my children that way over a difference of belief or lifestyle, especially when the child is question is in need of love and support.

The good news is that he beat his cancer even without them... luckily he had lots of support from his friends!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009