If they are starting the new law for banning children's clothes for they safety from lead then shouldn't they ban..

Aerosol sprays that have dangerous toxins? Along with make-up, cleaners, detergent, shampoo, soap, body wash and many other things?

After all we use these things on a daily basis and they are exposed to our children who are heavily exposed to this? If they are going to worry about something like this they need to worry about all the other MORE dangerous things our kids are exposed to.

http://www.saferisbetter.com/jmej7#start

Shouldn't all these things get tested and be more natural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• That isn't what they are doing though....
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• not everything is ever going to be perfectly safe. it is our responsibility as parents to watch what we bring around our children and how we handle them
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• nope. I'd be pretty worried if kids were using makeup and aerosols. I may not agree with banning all toys all ready manufacuterd, because that's wasteful. But this is stuff that kids touch and mouth daily.
    Anonymous

• They have specified the law now and it isnt going to affect consignment or resale stores. You can check the website directly and read the news release. I am all for the ban on lead on my kids clothes and toys. I think it needs to be done.

Answer by gemgem at 7:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I didn't say kids were using them. I said people use them around their kids all the time without even considering the danger.
    Anonymous

• THey aren't banning the items. THey're banning items that were shelved before the date, but remain untested. Now all stores have to have all their items tested. Its a bad law though. Most businesses are already sinking, and having to either test all their old inventory OR throw it out is going to kill them, and raise the prices. ITs a stupid law. I can understand protecting our children, but how much good is it going to do when we can't buy the items anyway.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Considering all the terrible things that are contaminating the food we eat....

I like the idea of them having a law...it's a law that should have been in place long before now. I don't think it's fair to make companies remove things already on their shelves. They should be able to sell what's left and not order anymore of whatever product containing too much lead.

Lead can be found in TONS of places.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I still have no clue how my generation made it. We had lead painted cribs and walls and managed to survive. My generations life expectancy is much higher than my sons. Parents are so freaked out by everything kids are never outside playing and cannot touch anything because it might make them sick. These sad sedentary kids are fat and unhealthy. I am much more concerned about my son eating a healthy diet than him chewing on his clothing or walls to try and ingest lead.

Anonymous

• Here's a link on the ban clarifications... http://wcco.com/consumer/new.lead.law.2.903514.html

Thank goodness, because I consign stuff 2x a year at this huge tri-state consignment sale. :D

As for banning make-up, aerosol, etc... In my house my kids don't chew on my make-up or play with my hair spray. So yeah, they are OoooKkkkk. Most products are tested. Yes some pplhave reactions because they are allergic, but that would be a reason to not get that particular item. But to worry? No. Why worry when you could just be smart. As for the govt requiring man. to get items tested- that is good, considering many cases of lead poisoning and horrible reactions ppl have encountered... Remember those flip-flops from Walmart? yeah.

OneLove4Jesus

Answer by OneLove4Jesus at 8:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2009