how much can you drink while breastfeeding

AMB3R08

Asked by AMB3R08 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i was told by my nurses at the hospital you can have one beer as long as it was immediately after you nursed, and you werent planning on nursing for another 2 to 3 hours. if you plan on pumping and dumping you can drink as much as you want, but you obviously have to have a supply of milk built up and stored. but you really cant drink much because it will go to your BM pretty quick
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• NO NO NO.... unless you are super skinny, you body will store the alcohol and can release it into your body for up to 24 hours.
    mrssfoster

Answer by mrssfoster at 7:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I used to every once in a while per my midwives suggestion, have a SMALL glass of red wine (like 6-7 sips)before nursing. There is nothing wrong with it, as long as it's not EVERY time you nurse.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Ok. You can not drink while in the act of breastfeeding but you can safely drink while nursing. It takes 1 hour a glass/shot to get out of your system. ALcohol leaves your milk like it does your blood stream so if you have 1 glass 6 oz of wine, or 1 beer than wait 1 hour before nursing, etc. :) ALso, the rule really is "safe to drive, safe to nurse".. go to kellymom.com they have tons of info.

pumping and dumping is ineffective unless you get engorged etc. As I said, alcohol leaves your milk like it leaves your blood stream.. no matter how much you pump.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009