How much attitude does your 12 yr old get away with? Do you ignore her attitudes or do you try to tame them?

My 12 year old step daughter seems to always have a bug up her you know what! Are all 12 year olds this moody? Should I always ignore it?

bella214

Asked by bella214 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was 12 about 12 years ago (ha!) and I was a shitty teen. But, my parents knew how to discipline me...and disciplined I got...LOL. But, since it's your stepdaughter, that's a little different. I'm a strict mom so I probably would not let her get away with too much sass...but that's just me.
    Anonymous

• I had to deal with this from my 3 step kids, there were days I wanted to pull my hair out. DH and I finally sat them all down and explained the rules of our house and how they were to act(basically attitudes). It helped with 2 of the 3, but the oldest one was a real tough one, throughout the whole time he lived with us. If it were me, I would explain to her what you will and won't tolerate from her and the consequences of her behavior. Then make sure you and your husband follow through with her punishment. Hang in there, of my 3 step kids, the oldest one (who I had the most trouble with), we are now the closest of all of them!
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• We spank for disrespectful attitude. Ethan, our 11 year old ds gets one warning, never any more than that. After he is spanked he is grounded for at least the rest of the day.
    surobb

Answer by surobb at 5:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I have not parented a pre-teen yet but I am strict as a rule so I think I would not stand for it.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• all kids are like this at 12, ship her to boarding school haha jk. I would let most things slide but if shes disrespecting you, put her in her place immediately. Not acceptable, my mom didn't know what to do with me either and I walked all over her.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2008