so im thinking about giveing my 3 month old some baby cereal..

i looked up many posts on it and im kinda undecided. he eats almost every hour sometimes 4-6 ounces. it always seems like he is hungry. he weights almost 13 pounds and can hold head up but cant sit up yet. im worrried that he is always hungry since he wants to take the bottle of formula all the time. also where do i get baby cereal and is that replaced with formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is almost 4 months and at 4 months you can give it to him. I'd just wait until then.
    However you can give him baby food right now. It's a lot easier on their tummy's than cereal.
    Cereal constipates them easier but baby food with fruits and vegetables help them digest.
    Anonymous

• go for it! i gave my daughter cereal at 3 months and shes perfectly fine! you can get the cereal at any grocery store or walmart or target. you get it in the baby food section. you dont want it to replace formula. what you do is make a bottle, then pt about a tablespoon of cereal in a bowl and put some of the formula into the bowl and mix it up so that its nice and creamy, you want it to be majority formula and some cereal, then you can add more cereal as he gets used to it. but anwyway, after you give him the cereal, let him finish his bottle. this should give him that full feeling that he desperately wants, and it will help you out in the long run too!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You can get baby cereal to mix with the formula. I gave my babies cereal in their formula when they were 1 month old. It didn't hurt them. I also mixed a little fruit babyfood in with it, so to give it some taste.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 7:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• response to the first post, cereal is always first, veggies are too difficult for their tiny tummies to digest. and fruit can constipate them. either way youll probably have poop issues but its normal. his body will adjust
    Anonymous

• You can buy baby cereal at any store that sells baby food or supplys. Baby cereal is called rice cereal and you can either mix it in with the babys formula in a bottle or put it in a bowl and feed it to them with a spoon. If the baby is too little too eat with a spoon then you need to put the cereal in the babys bottle with the formula so that its still a little runny. That will keep him a little fuller until he can learn to swallow it thicker from a spoon.

But you are not suppose to feed anything other then formula until 4 months of age because your babys digestive tract is still developing so any sort of solid food is off limits until between 4-6 months of age.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 7:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You can either do it now or wait. It's sold at grocery stores.

I will say that at that age they should still be fed on demand. If he wants more formula, give it to him. Increase the ounces and see if he will go longer. Eating that often isn't good for the system, so try to get him to go at least 2 hours. (hard on the kidneys...according to our pediatrician in regard to my youngest who at one point was eating ever hour)

Cereal is considered by some to be a "first food". It's for practice for eating, not for nutrition. It's not even really necessary (yes, I did give it first) Cereal should NOT replace formula at this age. When you start table foods in a few months, then you will notice a natural decrease in the amount of formula taken.

At that age, my guys were taking 8oz every 2- 2 1/2 hours and sleeping all night.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• my son use to take alot of formula in a day too. We tried diiferent ways to keep him full. We started by putting 2 baby spoonfuls of #1 baby food in his bottle (vegetable) and added water to it to kinda desolve it then add the formula and that seemed to work, but once the doctor told my babies daddy that it was wrong we tried what she said which was to put alittle bit of the baby cereal into the bottle. I would not replace the formula he still needs it but just try adding the cereal to help fill him up
    Anonymous

• I started my first daughter on cereal at 3 months - which was actually 5 weeks corrected age since she was almost 2 months premature. She was hungry ALL the time, following our food with her eyes and my mother suggested I try her. She almost attacked the spoon with glee and never looked back. She LOVED her cereal - and once she was eating solids for a couple of meals a day she stopped wanting milk every hour!

I took it VERY slowly to introduce new foods to her because she was so young and so premature but she had no allergy or intolerance issues at all. She is now a tall, healthy 14 year old!
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 7:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I started giving my son cereal around the same time. I started off with a small amount just to see if he would eat it all. I would warm up a bottle, same amount that you would normally use. Then take some of the warm formula and mix it into the cereal. That way they are still getting the good stuff from the formula, but through the cereal. I'm not sure how much I started at, maybe 1 tbsp., to see what happened.

Now, he is 7 months and has 3 tbsp. of cereal at each meal (three times a day), plus a jar of baby food, plus his bottle. He's an eater :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• He is old enough to start eating some cereal. Mix it in a bowl with a little formula to where it's kind of soupy and spoon feed it to him. Give him a bottle after the cereal.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009