Ear Infection

My 6 month old daughter has a double ear infection and the Dr put her on Augmentin. That was Friday she is still running a slight temp of 99.9 and has developed this terrible cough. My husband was sick with a sinus infection and now I'm sick too. So I don't know if the cough has anything to do with her sickness or if she got it from us. But my question is will the antibiotics help the cough?? I've been giving her Donatussin to help with the cough as well.

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 99.9 according to our pediatrician is barely an elevated temperature. It's basically barely above normal.

Ear infections are usually caused by congestion behind the ear drums...coughs are often cause by the congestion draining. The antibiotic is for the infection, not for the cold. The more medicine you give to stop the cough, the longer it's going to take her to kick the cold...that's how her body gets rid of the virus.

My second son used to get ear infections and THEN have outward signs of a cold....weird, I know....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009