will smoking cigs while bf make ur milk dry up

my soon to be ex told me that smoking was the reason why i didnt have a good milk supply for my daughter but my midwife told me that it was because he gave her a bottle too soon because he was to egar to feed her he gave her formula when she was only a couple days old she didnt even get all of the colsrtum but he blams it on me i have been trying to quit but he was always smoking around me and it was so hard to resist i did cut back as much as i could but now its all my fault my mom, gma,great gma all smoked and had bm to spare but my aunt never smoked and couldnt make any could it be genetic?

bugbug07

Asked by bugbug07 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It can lower your supply definitely.

Anonymous

• It absolutely will not! I started smoking about 4 weeks after my daughter was born and bf the whole time no prob. Sometimes if your schedule for feeding gets thrown off it can do that, if you pump between feeding the supply will come back...
    frisc0b0und

Answer by frisc0b0und at 7:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I am sure that it can lower your supply, but everyone is different. I gave up smoking and I NEVER had anything come in. So im not really sure about that, it could be that you just didnt really develop a good milk production for the baby! Maybe next time around!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I wasn't saying it can dry it up but that it can lower it for sure. But it depends on how much the mom is making anyway. If you have a killer over supply it generally does not affect it to the point where you are lacking milk.
    I smoked and it did decrease my supply and it also caused me to quit letting down.
    Anonymous

• i dont know how my supply is it never came in because he kept giving the bottle and it confused her or something because she never would try again she always screamed when i would try but if she got a bottle she was happy shes one now and on a sippy so it doesnt really matter we are going to marriage counseling and im prego again and i told him that im gonna try again and he brought it up and it pissed me off and i wanted to know
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i smoked very little and i only once had let down. if you do smoke you're supposed to smoke right after you BF and not before
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i smoke and stil BF at 6 1/2 months. it hasn't affected my supply, but i do make sure to smoke once she's done eating so that it has the most time to get out of my system before she's wanting more. by what you've said my guess would be that she had nipple confusion from the bottles he was giving her and didn't want your nipple anymore because the bottle nipple has a faster flow. if you want to BF this one, DON'T let him or anybody else give her a bottle (no paci is also recomended) until your have a good supply. i was told no bottle/no pumping for atleast three weeks, but i think that number varies with who you talk to. talk to a lactation consultant at the hospital and while he's in the room and ask her about that. make sure that he hears what she says, maybe hearing it from somebody else will help.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It can lower your supply and smoking increases the risk of sids BUT introducing a bottle to early can easily cause breastfeeding problems. Milk doesn't come in for the first 3-5 days usually and the baby needs that time to get all the colustrum it needs. Introducing formula could easily mess things up.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• A healthy mom who nurses on-demand should do okay.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009