speech and toddlers

parents who have kids in speech therapy, how long did it take before you saw results

bbrown404

Asked by bbrown404 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I noticed results within 3 -4 weeks. My daughter had 2 sessions a week.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 7:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• for my son- 6 months
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 8:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son started speech therapy last year just before he turned 2. At the time he wasn't talking at all. Zero words. He just turned 3 last Sat. and his vocabulary has exploded. But, he talks mostly in vowel sounds, and just a couple months ago started throwing in a few consonant sounds here and there. I still think it's been a major improvement that he went from not talking at all, to speaking in complete sentences. Now he is just having articulation problems. I still find it difficult to understand him a lot of the time, but at least he's making the attempt to talk. I think it depends on what kind of problem the kid is having, as far as when you would start seeing improvements.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It took a few weeks. My daughter goes three times each week and my husband works with her. She's been able to speak for quite some time. She just couldn't enunciate her words which is why we sent her to speech therapy. And when others asked her to repeat herself, she would get quiet and withdrawn. Now she has overcome her shyness and loves to speak.

Fearless_Mom

Answer by Fearless_Mom at 2:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• For my sons (I have two in speech) it was almost immediate. Maybe 2-3 sessions. Not overall, but with the particular letter on which the therapist was concentrating...

My older son was 2 1/2 when he started...moderate delay in articulation. He started right away making the "f" sound and self correcting. He is a great mimic and catches on very quickly. (two sessions a week)

My younger son was 22 months...severe delay in expressive language (not speaking)...and after about 3 sessions (once a week and me working with him the rest of the time) he started speaking and now 4 months later he's using phrases and small sentences but articulation is a big problem.

The speed of success will depend on so much...your therapist, your son and you. How "good" is the therapist, how easily does your kid catch on and how much do you work with him outside of therapy...all of that will play into the equation.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:44 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my son was 1 1/2 or 2 before he was in speech he wasnt talking right before he turned 5 he got tubs in and his tonsil and addnoise taken out and it was his addnoise that was the problem of him not talking but now that he 6 he can talk ok but kinda has speech problems
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2009