Do you agree with this statement?

I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Why or why not?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• nope.
    Anonymous

• Why not?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I disagree.While accepting punishment is respect for the law, I feel the "highest" respect for the law is not breaking it to begin with.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• So Rosa Parks should have stayed at the back of the bus?

Friday

• Nope, shouldn't have broken the law in the first place!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• friday you are opening a whole can of worms... what is your point to this.....

rosa parks issue was a race issue
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have to say that I would agree with that. If a person breaks a law that they feel is injust but is willing to accept the consequences then I could see how they would have high respect for the law.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I don't agree because laws were written for a reason and if everyone copped that sort of attitude, then what's the point in having laws? You may think this particular thing is unjust, but some bank robber may feel those laws are unjust and so forth and so on.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There are other LEGAL ways to go about having your voice be heard and show your disdain for the laws that were created and implemented by the very people WE elected to those positions. This Civil Rights Era is over.
    Anonymous

• SO? Rosa Parks broke the law, period.

This is not about illegals at all. This is about laws that are wrong like segregation, outdated sex laws, prohibition.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009