What color underwear did you wear on New Year's Eve?

Your choice may say something about your culture and your hopes for 2012 -- as might whether you decide to ring in the new year by smashing dishes, respectfully bowing to your elders or feasting on everything from cabbage to sticky rice soup to black-eyed peas.

As they do every December 31, revelers around the world spent Saturday-into-Sunday ushering in the new year in distinctive ways. One of the most common was by watching fireworks light up the nighttime sky, though this was just one of many ways people found to celebrate and do all they could to ensure that the next 12 months proceed as they wish.

And yes, underwear is one way to state your intentions -- at least in many South American countries, including Brazil and Argentina.
If you wore yellow, that supposedly enhances your chances for abundance and reaping in more money. If it was red, then you'll more likely find love in 2012. And if you were sporting white underpants, preferably new and clean, then peace was your top priority for the coming year.

One New Year's theme that resonates across borders, ages and ethnic groups is feasting on foods in an effort to boost your prospects for the future. But the menu varies from place to place.
Cabbage represents money and sauerkraut is for living a long life for some of Northern European ancestry, for instance. People in Spain and many Latin American countries down 12 grapes, one each to "guarantee" a month of happiness. In parts of the American South, year-round favorites black-eyed peas, ham and collard greens carry special importance over the New Year's holiday.

People in the nation of Georgia don't count on a chef for good luck. Rather, they rely on the first person to come through their home's door after midnight -- a person who, theoretically, will bring them fortune for the following year. Snacking on candy on New Year's Eve is another way, in the former Soviet territory, to ensure that 2012 is likewise sweet, and not bitter.
Brazilians try to optimize their prospects for the coming year by jumping waves or, if they are not near the beach, eating lentil soup or handing out money. Besides raucously banging together pots and pans, Filipinos eat round fruits to bring good fortune.
Some New Year's traditions have nothing to do with luck. A front stoop littered with broken plates in Denmark, for instance, suggests that the person inside has a lot of friends since, each New Year's Eve, people throw their old dishes at the doors of their friends' homes.

The agenda for fun in Canada depends on where you are, from partying at a "reveillon" in Quebec to imbibing Screech rum in Newfoundland to savoring "beaver tail" -- a Canadian fried dough treat-- in Ontario.
Still, for all those who partake in grand New Year's events, there are many more who make their own traditions.

It may be a small gathering of family and friends, watching the Times Square ball drop on TV, or loudly running through the neighborhood. Some may simply go to sleep early, so they can be energized for an early New Year's Day hike -- perhaps while wearing underwear that suits their mood, and wishes, for 2012.

vntNyll

Asked by vntNyll at 4:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2011 in Just for Fun

• come and break dishes on my front porch and we will not be friends anymore :)
    vntNyll

Comment by vntNyll (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2011

• Hmm wonder what it means if you dont wear any underwear?

Answer by gemgem at 4:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2011

• LOL, I've never had a set color. I just always try to wear something that goes with my outfit. Though I suppose IF I had a hot date (which I don't), I'd go skimpy.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2011

• Black lace top cheeky's from Victoria's Secret but that's cuz I'm wearing a black Christian Dior dress tonight and I want my undies to match and fit smoothly and snug under the dress.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2011

• I only own plain white underwear, granny panties and my husband has plain tighty whiteies.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 5:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2011

• it'll probably brown or black micro-spandex something or other. lol.
    'beaver tail' just doesn't even sound inviting..or tasty. those silly Canadians!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2011

• I actually gave my underwear some thought this morning. I have heard that red would be a good way to start the new year, but after the horrible year I've had for 2011, I chose white with teeny blue dots. A clean slate, with confetti.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2011

• I am with gemgem. What does no underwear means. I am not wearing any.

Answer by louise2 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2011

• first of all lol gemgem

2. wow i was expecting this to be just a goofy random post but i actually learned some things :)
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 5:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2011

• I haven't even showered yet (I was all up night with the baby), so I am still wearing the white ones I went to bed in. Honestly once I take a shower the ones I put on will be the first pair I pull out of the door that still fit my butt.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 5:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2011