need help converting my 11 month old from my bed to a crib

I am a stay at home mom who has a son with extreme separation anxiety. He screams as if you've just slammed his fingers in a door if I even try to leave the room. he sleeps with me in my bed and wakes up throughout the night and sometimes needs a bottle to go back to sleep except when I leave the room to go get a bottle he screams and when I say scream I mean SCREAMS!! the entire time I am gone which is only a matter of minutes. I really need to get him back in his crib for his own safety now that he's crawling. I have tried the "crying it out" thing a couple of times and have found it to be traumatic for us both!! and afterwards his separation anxiety problems were far worse for weeks!!! I need to be able to leave the room to get things done from time to time throughout the day. not to mention that i need some real rest at night. I am desperate and embaressed that I let this happen. where on earth do I begin??

mariamichael

Asked by mariamichael at 7:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would put him in there for a few minutes at time and give him some of his favorite toys to play with or maybe lay next to his crib till he falls asleep. or you could put the crib in your room next to bed if space allows till he gets used to it...

good luck
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 7:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Try a toddler bed or twin, to be honest. My dd hates the infant mattress'. sep anxiety is normal, so don't stress or feel like a bad mom.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2009