Anyone have a child that has/had a cranial band? (helmet)

Just curious. Jackson, my son, is 13 months and its only effective until around 18 months and we are pushing it so I am kinda nervous. The Dr. there will be some improvement, but it will not all be corrected. It was kinda JUST discovered and his head is off by like 16mm so I'm worried it wont correct itself enough unless he has a major growth spurt when he gets the helmet. Thanks for anyone who knows what I'm talking about.

cmb121906

Asked by cmb121906 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• One of my daughters wore a helmet for about a year (started at 6 mo. old) Her skull was very severely flat on one side in the back . It was only corrected 50% but once her hair grew in better it was less noticable. You can barely tell now by looking (unless you run your hand around the back of her head) She quit wearing it at 18 mo. because, like you were told, by that age there really isn't much more chance its going to be corrected any further. I mean 50% (in her case) doesnt sound like much but it was enough to make it almost impossible to tell by sight that anything is wrong. Good luck with everything.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We recently found out that our 10 month old son will need a cranial band. I've seen great before and after pictures of treatment that started as late as 19.5 months.  Check out this link:

http://www.cranialtech.com/treatment/casef.html

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 9:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My nephew wore a helmet when he was little. I think he was around a year when he had it put on (he was close to walking). His head looks pretty good now.
    Anonymous