how do i get the paci away from my 19 month old??

i have tried the cold turkey thing and i've tried only at nap and bed time but he just whines for it all day long and i don't know what else to do. Somebody please help me

acrane

Asked by acrane at 2:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cut a hole in the end of it, that's what I did for both of mine and it worked like a charm!! They didn't want it anymore.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I did it cold turkey with my first. It was the worse day of my life...but after that first day - he never used one again. I basically walked him around the house all day. He screamed for 8 hours. If you are strong-willed, that's the way to do it. If you're not...I dunno.
    Anonymous

• Try a sticker chart combined with the cold turkey method. Also if you are truly going to go cold turkey you have to et rid of the paci for real. Moms have to give up the paci just as much as the baby. (I am there now) You have to stick in there. Even if it means 3 dyas of nothing but crying. The sticker chart will at least give him a goal to work toward and a reward for each day.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 3:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I had the binky fairy come. We hung the binkies on the gate by the stairs and the fairy left a note and a small trinket for letting her take the binkies to the new babies that needed them.
    allord

Answer by allord at 9:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• just take it away and throw it away... out of sight and out of mind... it may take a day or two, but once they forget about it, they are fine... they only cause a fuss when they know about it or can see it
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 9:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I took the paci away at 16 months....cold turkey. She whined during nap but then eventually just fell asleep. I was actually quite surprised. When bedtime came, it took her a little longer but she went to sleep. She woke up a few times looking for it but, I just pat her back to sleep. The next couple of days weren't to bad. By day 4, she was okay. Just be consistent. Don't back down. HTH
    tommygirl

Answer by tommygirl at 12:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2008