I'd like to hear from parent's who've had to deal with this with their kids or are going through it with their kids now.

DS is 4 and has started jk this past Sept. When he started his teacher said he was one of her most well behaved kids. His second month in school he was awarded the principal's friendship award for the month. I was so proud!
Before Christmas he became friends with another boy in the class, I'm not blaming this boy btw, and the 2 of them are horrible together. They play nicely but when they are to get ready for snack time or do their lesson/activities they fool and don't do what they are supposed to. The teacher had seperated them in their groups, has given them timeouts. Myself and his mom have talked with our own boys and they have lost privledges, been disiplined... We are getting the boys together this week outside of school and hoping if they play at home they might behave better in school. Has anyone had this type of issue with their kid? How did you deal with it, has it ended?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, my son is 5 and has made a new friend who is more..."worldly" than my son. And all of the sudden my son has "grown up" which is to be expected somewhat...

It is not to the point of denying him this friendship...(how could I really, they are in the same class) But I try to explain to him that other kids will sometimes make bad decisions about their behavior.....and that I KNOW he has a brain and I expect him to THINK about what he chooses to do.

I am trying to get the HUGE HUGE point across to him not to "follow the crowd" He really does seem to understand.

The playing outside the home is a good idea. Why not role play a school day....? You moms be the teacher....they will think it is a game and you can go over some situations they might be dealing with and you can teach them how best to handle the issue.....how to stay on their work ect.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I like the role playing idea. Let the boys know that if you hear they are acting up in school that they will be disciplined at home. That they can't blame the other for not listening. Each is responsible for their own action. Your are lucky that the other mother is working w/ you.
    lovewing

Answer by lovewing at 10:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009