What kind of food choices do you let your child make?

I let my daughter pick out one snack in the store while we're shopping, and the choice sometimes changes as we go from lane to lane.

I also let her pick what we eat for breakfast. It is just the two of us right now, and she always picks something I think is healthy enough for her, so she gets her pick. Usually its eggs and toast, yogurt and dry cereal, pancakes, or oatmeal. I always have all of it on hand so it doesn't matter and lets her pick something relatively healthy and feel good about it.

I'm curious because I'm pretty sure I never had a say in what I ate growing up...lol. There were a lot of us so my mama was not willing to let a thousand kids pull her a thousand directions with food. I'm sure it will be different once I have my own houseful.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Hmm. Well, my baby's choice is basically let me feed you or feed yourself. Although I do put down cold, steamed veggies for him while I'm making the rest of his meal, and he tends to pluck out the peas from the mix. :)

My older stepbabies I let have more choice. I ask them if they want x or y for lunch. I ask them to help me choose veggies at the store. I've learned to stop the barrage of "I want this! I want that!" by saying that if they don't do it, they can choose a treat for dessert (within reason).
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 8:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My DD usually chooses what we are having for breakfast, snack and lunch sometimes. I almost always decide what we are having for dinner.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son can pick a cereal when we go to the store and a snack for his school lunches.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 8:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son has a say. We are a little budgeted right now but I try to keep it as healthy as possible. My DH works from 4p.m. to 1a.m. so it is just myself, my 5yr old and his 18 month old brother. Last night I just made myself a sandwich and I gave my little one a sandwich as well and when I asked my son what he wanted he said, "A PB&J and seasoned fries." I said okay, lol. I figure peanut butter is healthy enough and we have preserves but the seasoned fries negated anything healthy, lmao.
    Anonymous

• They can pick out the flavor of jello they want. But I generally plan the meals and they have to eat what I put down.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My kids are all teens now, so they pretty much eat what they want. But I'm still interested in preparing nutritious and delicious dinners for them. We have leftovers some nights, so that helps. We are trying something new this month. Each member of the family has to take a turn cooking a meal on Saturdays of January. My youngest cooked a skillet lasagna the other day. It was delicious.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 8:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have 3 kids and I let my kids make their own choices. They make nice healthy choices most of the time.
    They get to pick their breakfast in the morning. Choices being oatmeal, cereal (healthy one's), toast, bagels, yogurt. They also get to pick their lunch and dinner, but that's with a choice between 2 or 3 options.
    Having done this I feel that I'm giving my kids the opportunity to make healthy choices. DS will tell DH that he didn't make a healthy choice for their snack! lol He's been doing that since he was 3! DD is so proud that she can open the fridge and get herself an apple from the crisper. We have a freezer on the bottom fridge and she has only now been able to open it she's 3! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I create our menu for the month and every time I create it I ask everybody (children included) what they want for dinners through the week. If we have a couple choices to make for lunches/snacks I will offer it, but most of the time we have the same things.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I also let my kids make thier own choices on what to eat, while school is in they eat breakfast and lunch there because they get the free meal program at thier school. On the weekends they pick what they want for breakfast and lunch. I choose dinner for them every night that is usually pretty healthy.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 9:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• my son is only 20 months but he gets to choose his clothes in the mornings (well i let him pick from 2 shirts then i pick the pants so he matches) he gets to pick the book we read at night, his afternoon snack and the morning cartoon.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009