Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any of the online classes offer FA?

I am a single mother and I have been thinking about going back to school but I also would like to do it online. Do any of you mother or have any of you taken classes completely online? Do online classes offer FA (state and/or federal grants or loans)? I can afford to pay for a college education. What would be a good online school to apply to?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • One of my kids takes college classes from a nearby college completely online until a car becomes available. I just can't go back and forth to campus getting him there several times a day and week. As long as your college is legitimate with a campus you can visit and additionally take on line classes, it should be ok. Be wary of colleges that only offer on line classes and no on campus classes!!! Oh and some of my son's exams in some on line classes had to be taken on campus. Just depends on the prof. Good for you for thinking of this!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Oh and sorry I forgot to add, my son for each semester has had no problem getting financial aid loans through Sallie Mae and their banks cuz the college has verified his status of enrollement level.What are you thinking of studying?

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Most colleges online and traditional colleges accept financial aid. Go to to apply for financial aid. You may even qualify for grants which you do not have to pay back. Look up some schools online see if they take financial aid, then on the part of the application where it says to put the school you can put as many as you are interested in. It is actually the school that decides though how much you will receive in grants or loans. There are formulas to figure all of that out and each school has different costs and fees. Once you do the fafsa application it will tell you what your family contribution is, the closer to $0 the better.


    Answer by Magpie75 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Most accredited colleges and universities accept federal grants, loans, and scholarships. When you find a college go directly to the financial aid department first. Then go right to the FAFSA site and fill out the paperwork. It is a lengthy process and you will need the previous year's tax returns. I think they are still asking for the 2007 returns. They will contact the school directly and the financial office will contact you if they need anymore documentation or to ask you to look around for a student loan to cover any remaining uncovered balance. The FAFSA site will tell you how much they will pay once they process your application.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:05 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.