Source of Authority

Our pastor has been doing a series on the differences between Christianity and other religions. It's been very interesting. I thought some would be good here. Here's one:

What is your belief systems source of authority? Who defines your beliefs and are they/it credible?

pwfaith

Asked by pwfaith at 2:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• My parents define my belief system. They teach honor, morals and basically do no harm to others. It worked for our family. All my siblings and I have jobs, families and responsibilities. Not one of us attends church and I am personally an atheist.
    Anonymous

• As I adhere to no one specific set of religious beliefs, I let my conscience be the guide.

As far as religious tenets go, I like the Wiccan rede: An it harm none, do what ye will.

This precludes hurting others and hurting oneself. Very similar to the Golden Rule of Christianity, incorporates many (but certainly not all) of the 10 Commandments...
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I define my own beliefs & whether or not they are credible. Handing that authority over to someone else would diminish my spirituality as far as I am concerned. I don't accept any belief unless I find it logical & well supported, even if others of the same religion as me accept them.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I may just be suffering a blond moment, or maybe I'm just dense. But, I don't think I fully understand the question. I almost get it - I think. And I'd love to answer, I just wanna make sure I understand it correctly. Could you re-state it, in a different way?
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 3:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Well, I'm impatient and I'll attempt answering the question before you've had a chance to respond.
    My beliefs system of authority, is from the Bible. (If I'm understanding the question). The Holy Spirit defines my beliefs. I seek wisdom and councel from other mature Christians when I have questions. Did I answer the question?
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 3:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• pwfaith, please jump in if I'm wrong! jollymommy, I think she is asking how you know that what you believe is true? If you are a Christian, do you believe that God inspired the authors of the books of the New Testament to write what they did, and guided the hands and minds of those at the council of Nicea as they defined the Christian faith.

If you are a Muslim, then you believe that Allah sent the archangel Gabriel to Mohammed and told him what was to go in the scriptures, which he then had transcribed by someone else because he, himself was illiterate.

I think perhaps my own post, with my non-belief in a single authority got things mixed up. Sorry!
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Thanks! I get it. :) And once again, you've stated it perfectly. I "believe that God inspired the authors of the books of the New Testament to write what they did, and guided the hands and minds of those at the council of Nicea as they defined the Christian faith." I couldn't have said it better!
    I believe the Bible is complete as it appears today. I believe in it's absolute truth.

jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I think Jolly answered it well actually lol It's pretty much what it says.
    What is your source of authority? for me as a Christian it would be God's Word
    Who defines your beliefs and are they/it credible? for some religions this would be a person, again this would be God's Word for me and yes it is fully credible. (good site showing how provethebible.net) The Bible was written over a period of 1600 years, by individuals in different places, at different times, with different backgrounds. Yet each individual book harmonizes with the rest. Although its writing spread over many centuries, and involved different people, it has one single, perfect message throughout, No other book in history can make the same claim, nor remain constant and consistent in content. Another good source: http://www.learnbible.net
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 4:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I define my belief system (or lack of belief system) and I'm the final authority on it. I base my life around the "Golden Rule"--do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It's a pretty simple way to live, easy to follow, all based on what I would or wouldn't want happen to me. I teach my kids the same.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Orthodox Christians consider Holy Scripture and Holy Tradition to be sources of authority. Christ defined our beliefs, and we have kept them intact for 2000 years. It doesn't get any better than that, for me.
    LJ1976

Answer by LJ1976 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2008