Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'WE' think my 84 dad is being scammed by a woman, she's taken most of his money and he borrowed from all

and he borrowed from all of us kids and sold some belongings. Become very secretitive. Who can we cntact for help proving this is fraud and that he has been taken advantage of.. We are very concened, she always has a story, why he cannot cash the check or why it bounced Suggestions?? He has borrowed from almost all of his friends (or let them in on his great deal).


Asked by pattecake at 9:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • There isn't a whole lot you can do if he is of sound mind and he is still able to execute his own will.

    I'd definitely ask him if that's the legacy he wants to leave for his children and grandchildren but past that I don't think you will be able to do much against her.

    Answer by munch12502 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Call the police. Don't know anything else you can do. Hope it all gets straightened out.

    Answer by lilbit837 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Call the damn police, sheesh.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • I wish I had more to offer but someone very close to me that is up there in age appears to be in the same boat. While it seems the best route is to call the police, on the other hand if he is giving the $$ to her willingly it would be hard to deem as fraud KWIM? Unless your dad has been deemed unable to make choices for himself it might be hard to prove fraud. If this woman has done this sort of thing before maybe you could have private investigator look into her past?

    Answer by joeyzgerl at 9:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Have your dad make one of his children his power of attorney. He won't like this, nobody wants to give somebody else that kind of decision-making ability over them after being a responsible adult all their life, but if you all get together and lean on him until he does, then you can get her out of his life and make her stop leaching off him. It's about the only way, Even if you get a private investigator he may make excuses for her past, or be actually afraid of her.

    Answer by pagan_mama at 9:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009