Episodomy 2nd time around???

I am preg wiht my second baby. I want to try doing the perineal massage to avoid an episodomy this time around. But someone tol eme that because I got one last time most likely I'll tear really badly this time. But I assume that my body is still the same(ie: me having stitches last time - which desolved) have NOTHING to do withe my preg this time. So basically would the perineal massage work or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is HOW you are laboring more than anything. If you stay upright and work with gravity, you should have little perineal damage. You certainly should not *need* any cutting. Save interventions for emergencies! :- /
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• With my first I had a episodomy all the way to...you know where, but with my 2nd (which was 7 yrs later) I didn't need one, but I did tear. Now I don't think this happens to a lot of people but this is what happened to me. I tore my "lips" I needed 2 to 3 stitches on each side. How weird is that? I didn't even know that could happen. My 1st weighed 6lbs 12oz (he had a big head...lol) My 2nd weighed 5lbs 7oz

lovmore

Answer by lovmore at 9:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I had to have one with my first, then with my second my dr. asked me if i wanted her to start cutting or we could wait and see b/c she could see that the scar was starting to rip. i said cut, my daughter was 91/2 lbs. so i think my body would have riped and torn anyway. But it never hurts to try......but i dont think that if you had one before that you will have one again.
    Anonymous

• I had one all three times, but I never really did anything to avoid it. I think the dr. tried not to give me with the last one, but I was tearing so she did.
    Anonymous

• It is better to naturally tear than to be cut. Just because you have had an episiotomy doesn't mean that you will have to have one this time, or tear. It all depends on how you labor, etc.  Do the perenial massages and look into different birthing and laboring positions as well :)

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• on your knees would be best. I've heard it is a great relief during birth compared to the" on your back with your flipping legs high in the air" method..... pressure is on the opposite side, and babies tend to "fall out" from the noise I've heard on the grapevine about this position!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Thanks.. :) that is good to know that I can try at least.. I did try the massage yesterday.. it was PAINFUL and can't seem to do anything because it's so uncomfy. My hubby made fun of me because he was trying to imitate the faces I made so I'd laugh and relax a little bit. I think it's just really not the best thing to do (or I'll just get used to it once I practice the massage more and more).. but God I can't imagine stretching that area.. but I'd rather do it myself instead of the baby doing it and me being in super pain.
    Anonymous