What I'm doing, can you think of anything else I can do to help ?

My 9 month old DD has been constipated for about a month and a half. I've been to the Dr's and this is what I'm doing so far to help her.
1) Increased her fruit (apples, prunes, pears and such...)
2) She's BF and get's formula occasionally so she's now on low iron
3) I'll be starting to drink aloe vera juice and also be adding it to DD's diet tomorrow
4) Giving her a bottle of water a day to drink every day
5) Giving her barley cereal, and adding flax seeds to her meals

Can anyone else think of anything else I can do?
5)

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Here is what I learned with my son...
    1. No apple sauce or juice...it is the apple peels that have all the fiber and to give apples without the peel is more apt to cause constipation.
    2. With your baby on her back, take her feet in you hands and work her legs like she is riding a bicycle... doing these leg motions and also bending the legs and pushing them toward the chest, making large circles.
    3. Ask your baby Dr to show you some belly massage that you can do to help the BM to progress.

As previously mentioned, be careful not to do too much...I know you are worried, and you don't want to cause her to go from constipated to having diarrhea.
    Talk to your Dr, and don't let up until you get some help.
    Good luck!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 12:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Prune juice

Answer by louise2 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• How about Apple juice in her water, mixed half and half? That works for my little one.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Try some mineral oil . When my baby was constipated our pedi told us to give her a tiny bit and it helped right away. Ask your daughter about how much to give her though.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 9:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Ask your doctor if you can try Milk of Magnesia. My daughter had to take some at that age and it worked wonders. But make sure you ask the doctor first. GL!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Instead of water, try diluted prune juice. Apple juice MAY work but for some kids, it makes it worse.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The best thing for this to put a little (maybe 1 ounce) of Karo (the dark kind) to every formula feeding. Also at 9 months she can have apple juice...By Motts for kids. 2 oz apple juice and 2 oz distilled water (it is exactly what they sell for baby juice) and this will help her out alot. Also I would try giving her just a couple (maybe 4 or 5) of little baby spoonfuls of apple sauce.
    Anonymous

• Be careful how many things you add to help with constipation. Sometimes less is more. I was told by our ped. that if we gave our son too many prunes it would make him more constipated. I would try one change at a time. Good luck, a baby who can't poop is never fun!!
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 9:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My SIL said with her son she used prune juice and mineral oil. (I've never had a problem so can't speak from my own experience!) I don't know anything about the mineral oil, like how much, etc, so you might want to call and ask your dr if you want to try that. Prune juice seems like a safe bet though, in limited quantities!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• prune juice... some of all that other stuff sounds crazy!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2009