PACIFIER HELP!!!!

My son is 22 months old and has been off his pacifier (paci) for almost 6 months now during the day, and only uses his paci at night and naps. I decided to take it completly away this month. My husband is away for the whole month out of state training so I figured this might be a good time...STUPID ME! All has been ok, not GREAT but ok for about a week now but now my son has decided he doesn't need a nap anymore which, being a temporary single mom gives me NO TIME to do anything.

I am really seriously trying to decide if I'm going to give it back to him or not (just for night, not for all the time). I KNOW if I cave in it'll be "that much harder" the next time but what does him having it at night really hurt? He sleeps great as opposed to now.

HELP ME!!!

EBeauty03

Asked by EBeauty03 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do not give it back. He is too old for it anyway and things will work out. you will have to adjust a bit but it will get better.
    Anonymous

• First of all this is NOT a good time to take is security away. Even though he is little he knows something in the house is not right (dad is gone) and therefore I would let him have it for naps and night time until things go back to normal (when dad gets home and things settle down for about a week or so). Besides most kids that are attached to them usually will do this pattern until almost 4. By that time I suggest you just dont wash it and let it get sticky and yucky and TRUST me on this one-----------all it will take is one time for him to put that yucky paci in his mouth and he will never want it again!!! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• EWW gross, don't do that to the poor kid. Would you like someone to play a nasty trick on you? You already took it away so don't give it back or you are going to confuse him. Keep it away.
    Anonymous

• my son is 22 months and still sleeps with a paci. i dont really see anything wrong with it. in a lot of ways they are still babies and i see nothing wrong with him using a paci for comfort at night. i agree that while your dh is gone is probably not a good time to start just because things aren't normal for him. JMO. its up to you.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• No they are nasty little things and you already took it away why give it back!!! Its only been a week so you should stick to your guns!! sorry i just have a huge "paci" pet peeve!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I feel the temporary single mom thing my DH is deployed so I am been single but married mom for almost a year. I agree with PP probably not the best time to change anything. I also see your point about needing him to nap. But I say stick to your guns honey. If you give it back then he will get the idea that if he holds out he gets what he wants. Good Luck
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 11:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• When I took my daughters Binky away she was fine with it as long as she had her blanky. Does you son have another comfort item. It not I would look into finding him one.
    shelbyjo2008

Answer by shelbyjo2008 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• the comfort item is good, we traded a baby for a paci... but all in all, it is your call, a suggestion tho, if you can try and wear him out a little harder, run, play tag... jump around..... pretend alot with him, tickle torture him alot more laughter does wear them out... if they're laughing they'll get tired easier because they've spent more energy. at that age, I made sure all my kids got a good half hour of nothing but laughter, (usually about 3 10 minute spurts) and they were religious nap takers... laughter always was the best medicine!!
    stillfatmama

Answer by stillfatmama at 12:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Don't give it back. You already took it away, stick to your guns.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2009