Circumcision question

We had our son circumcised at birth and he is now 15 months old. No complications whatsoever. I did notice that the doctor didn't take off as much skin as they may usually take, but I didn't want him redone. Well now sometimes when I change his diaper and pull back the skin to wipe it, I notice it makes him uncomfortable. Not like he is in pain, but that he would rather I just leave it alone. Should I continue to pull the skin back or just leave him alone?

No bashing about circumcision please. I just want an answer to my question, not a debate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Leave it alone.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for your answer. If I could do it all over again I would have just left him intact, but you live, you learn, right?
    Anonymous

• Yep, but don't beat yourself up about. Nothing wrong with it either way. Maybe talk to the pedi? Maybe if you do have it fixed it will be better for him. If they say it's ok the way it is don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• I'd leave it - my kids aren't circed and I've never moved the skin at all and have had no issues.
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 9:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Something to look at for next time: www.nocircpa.org/4642.html
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• No you need to clean under that skin...... thats y they circimsize babies in the first place to keep them clean..... he might not like it but its better than an infection and he may or may not get one!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Anon 9:28 I spoke with his pedi about it and she told me not to worry and that it was fine. But this discomfort only started happening recently so I will bring it up at his next appontment. I really don't want to re-circ him if it's not absolutely necessary.
    Anonymous

• the skin can readhere if it's not moved around much... it might be a bit uncomfortable for him, it's a very sensitive place after all... I slathered up petrolatum on my boys, the nurses told me I used too much, but the pedi told me use plenty so I did, if it's not getting poop up in there though, you don't really have to do much to it. one of my sons has more skin "left" than the other, and the one with a little more used to and still does squirm a little more at diaper changes if I have to fiddle with it to get poo off.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You're not supposed to pull it back. Leave it alone, just make sure you wipe it clean...but do NOT pull the skin back.

There are different types (or "styles") of circumcision...some take off more skin than others. It's not unusual. But...leave it alone unless it's dirty.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I didn't even know you could have it done a second time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009