Why are some parent s so against video games??

I always wonder about this. My children are allowed to play video games and they have never become addicted to them.They have time limits that they abide by and honestly half the time they could care less about them. We have a Wii, a PS3, a PSP, our son has a DS and our Daughter has a Gameboy. We all play the Wii together as a family more often than not. I feel the more you tell a child NO NO NO the more addicted they would become to something given the chance to do it. We find, the less we say absolutly NO to things (in reason of course) the better they handle having things in their lives. So what's the big deal for some?

happyathomemum

Asked by happyathomemum at 9:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I allow them to a certain extent, same as I've allowed movies. It doesn't matter what the rating is, if I feel it unacceptable, I'm not allowing it. I don't allow violence in video games, other than a bunny here and there getting mowed down with a plunger or 2 (Raving Rabbids).
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• CON"T...We are great parents who are very involved in our childrens lives and have remarkably intellegent children, who love to spend time with us, read and play outside, play on sports teams. All the things many people think playing video games stop children from doing. I think it's the parents that allow the addiction to happen. Children do well with guidelines and limits. So what is your oppinion?
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 9:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I don't understand it. They are the same parents that won't let their kids watch R rated movies

Answer by louise2 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would never let my kids watch R rated movies, till they were FAR older like 18. Were you being sarcastic? If so please don't waste my time.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 9:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Not all kids are the same. You KNOW that. So why do you assume that because YOU haven't had problems, that no one else will either? Or that parents that do have problems are bad parents?
    And this doesn't apply just to children either. My MIL became addicted to her Atari when they first came out. She played it enough to harm her thumb. She was an adult with 3 teenagers and still had problems. And how many times have you seen moms complaining that their hubby is sitting, playing yet another computer game instead of helping with the kids?
    I think your kids are the exception to the rule. The nature of video games is addictive. People who have addictive personalities will have a hard time with them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Why else may people complain about them?
    People playing them are just sitting, doing nothing, learning nothing, burning few calories, and frequently munching on something.
    And many games are violent or have other questionable content.

We don't even own one. I've considered getting one for my daughter because there are educational games out there but have decided to pass. I don't need the battle to get her to put it away and play. I don't need the potential health problems. I don't need the future battle against games I don't like.
    kaycee14

• I agree with Kaycee14. It depends on the child. We had them as kids, my sister and i couldnt have cared less about them but my brother played ALL the time. His health and grades suffered because of it. My mom wasn't a bad parent and we were all parented the same way. Some kids are just different than others when it comes to things like that. Personally I wont let my son have one when hes older just because i think there are more productive things he can be doing with his time. I also dont want to have to argue with him about games i dont like or approve of. I guess if it works for you go for it, but its not for everyone.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Most parents don't l want their kids play video game ( because of the violence in the games). That's the reason I brought up rated R movies (sex and violence). I hope you understand me more clearly now.

Answer by louise2 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Well i dont want my kids to turn into one of those husbands women bitch about on here that all they do is play video games and wont have sex with them or spend time with thier familys!!! And i personaly just dont like them or find them nessasary!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• clapping

Yeah Kaycee!!

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009