What is the difference between a LPN & a medical assistant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Health

• An LPN has a nuring degree and is licenced to be a nurse and can actually be a patient's nurse. A medical assistant is not licenced and can not be a nurse, they can however take your weight, blood pressure, and even take blood at doctors offices. They sometimes use them in triage at the hospital for those very things. Both of them are still in high demand, but if you are looking into either of them I say go with LPN because they are in much more need for them and also you get paid way better than a medical assistant.
    Anonymous

• Amount of time in school and pay
    Anonymous

• Money, time in school. An LPN only makes a small amount more than a medical assistant. Medical assistants can be licensed as either RMA's or CMA's. You need to take a standardized test for this certification.

Medical assistants can draw blood, run IV's, take basic x-rays, and give injections. Medical assistants typically work in physician offices. Nurses can draw blood, give IV's, give injections, and other tasks. An RN is the preferred degree for nursing v. LPN. RN's with an AS degree make more money than LPN's.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 9:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I am an LPN and last year I netted $59,000 dollars. Actually a bit more. I think that is quite a bit more than a medical assistant. I think there are several difference between an LPN and a medical assistant. There are not many differences in an LPN/RN. In the state of PA there are only 3 things LPN's cannot do that RN can. That is hang blood for blood transfusions-Give TPN-IV push of drugs oh and one other thing administer chemotherapy. Anything else I am licensed to do. As for medical assistants there are a lot of things that they are unable to do that we LPNs can do. I work with 2 other RN's at my job and due to them being in school longer they make a little more than me but not enough more that would make me want to go back to school at this point.
    Anonymous