Second ultrasound at 13 weeks

Hello everyone. So I had my first appt and ultrasound at like 8 weeks or something like that, so my appt. on this Wed is my 2nd appt. and I believe they are doing another ultrasound. I could've sworn they said it was checking for down syndrome. Does that sound right? How much more will I be able to see at 13 weeks?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i dont think they would check for down syndrome that early. but you wont see anything else other than what you saw before, and that the baby will be a LITTLE bit bigger.
    Anonymous

• i dont remember my dr. checking for anything specific at 13 weeks, i found out the sex then but other than that it was the same as the first.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There is something to check in ultrasound for downs, can't remember how. My ob did that because I refused amnio at an 'advanced' age being invasive but ultrasound I felt wasn't. Since I wouldn't abort no matter what I okayed him and us being prepared medically for any problems along with a problem w/in my family to keep an eye on.
    Anonymous

• I THOUGHT THE ONLY WAY THEY COULD CHECK FOR THAT WAS BY TAKING FLUID FROM THE SAC
    mommy4789

Answer by mommy4789 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• They take your blood to check for downs syndrome
    Anonymous

• they usually do a test (I think its a quad screening to check for markers for down syndrom) if your interested in that and I think your getting close to the time that they would offer you that. I dont know the exact time they do it because we opted not to do it. I think on an ultrasound, the only way that they can get a possiblity of showing downs is a thickening in the neck and I dont think thats anywhere near 100% accurate and I think thats even further along than 13 weeks. I think the only way you will know if you baby has downs or not is by an amnio.
    Anonymous

• I'm pretty sure there's somethign specific that they can measure with an ultrasound, that is related to down syndrome.
    LittleMonster22

Answer by LittleMonster22 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If everything was fine at your first u/s there is no reason for them to be doing another u/s. They will check for d/s when they do your bloodwork at 20wks. I would decline the u/s. Some Dr's just do extra if they know the persons insurance will pay for it, at least I've worked for 2 dr's that were that way w-testing. I would decline the u/s and tell them you prefer to wait until it's time to find out what you are having
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• At 13 weeks it's an ultrascreen. Along with a blood test it can determine your risk of the baby having downs syndrome. They can do the ultrascreen between 11 and 13 weeks. It is fairly new, it used to only be avail to older mothers. Now depending on the dr or hospital/ clinic it is offered to everyone.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009